Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
It's first worth noting that I'm running the High Sierra public beta, but I think this is user error. I recently partitioned my internal drive for use with Kali Linux. Everything worked fine until one day last week I went to power my Mac on and it couldn't boot into anything. I had to run Recovery and install MacOS again (this all happened before I installed the High Sierra beta fyi).

Now that I'm somewhat back up and running, I want to configure a partition for Kali Linux again but this is what I see when I go into Disk Utility to start the process:
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.20.50 AM.png

Is there something I'm overlooking? What is the dumb user error I made that I just can't see?

EDIT: The problem is that the '+' button is grayed out and won't let me add a partition.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks:
"What is the dumb user error I made that I just can't see?"

Well, for starters...
"I recently partitioned my internal drive for use with Kali Linux."
I'd bet that's got something to do with it!

Reactions: mikecwest

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
It's first worth noting that I'm running the High Sierra public beta, but I think this is user error. I recently partitioned my internal drive for use with Kali Linux. Everything worked fine until one day last week I went to power my Mac on and it couldn't boot into anything. I had to run Recovery and install MacOS again (this all happened before I installed the High Sierra beta fyi).

Now that I'm somewhat back up and running, I want to configure a partition for Kali Linux again but this is what I see when I go into Disk Utility to start the process:
View attachment 707933

Is there something I'm overlooking? What is the dumb user error I made that I just can't see?

EDIT: The problem is that the '+' button is grayed out and won't let me add a partition.

It says it there in your picture, the volume cannot be resized.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
To create a new partition you must first shrink the current one to create free space.

You cannot skrink the primary partition with OSX running. Have you tried to do this in recovery mode?

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Doesn't work in recovery mode either. High Sierra doesn't allow for partitioning yet unfortunately. Even on Beta 3. I can't even figure out a way to downgrade back to Sierra right now.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Doesn't work in recovery mode either. High Sierra doesn't allow for partitioning yet unfortunately. Even on Beta 3. I can't even figure out a way to downgrade back to Sierra right now.

You could use Internet Recovery to wipe the partition and then reinstall OSX. You might have to upgrade back to Sierra if you fall back to an earlier OS.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I can attest to not being able to do it in Recovery Mode like @matram suggested :(

I think it is something goofy with High Sierra, especially the new APFS system (I'm assuming anyway). I don't know what else it could be since it worked fine just last week. But when I tried to install the High Sierra beta, my whole system crashed and I was forced to restore to factory settings, so the beta being the source of all this headache isn't difficult to believe in the slightest.

Looks like I might just have to boot Kali off some form of external media, at least for the time being, while Apple--hopefully--fixes the partitioning problem in High Sierra. This isn't a super huge deal since the Broadcom wireless chips inside Macs don't really play nicely with Kali's wifi drivers, so I was already having to use a USB adapter to override this problem.

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
I can attest to not being able to do it in Recovery Mode like @matram suggested :(

I think it is something goofy with High Sierra, especially the new APFS system (I'm assuming anyway). I don't know what else it could be since it worked fine just last week. But when I tried to install the High Sierra beta, my whole system crashed and I was forced to restore to factory settings, so the beta being the source of all this headache isn't difficult to believe in the slightest.

Looks like I might just have to boot Kali off some form of external media, at least for the time being, while Apple--hopefully--fixes the partitioning problem in High Sierra. This isn't a super huge deal since the Broadcom wireless chips inside Macs don't really play nicely with Kali's wifi drivers, so I was already having to use a USB adapter to override this problem.

You could use a flash drive or something to put your important files on then use internet recovery to go back to Sierra.

DarthBradicus

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Don’t know if you knew this already, but the way you add partitions in an APFS container is different than adding an HFS+ partition (which you can’t do on an internal APFS drive because the APFS container can’t be resized).

Instead of using the Partition tab, you can add an APFS volume to can existing APFS container by selecting the container in the sidebar and clicking the + button in the toolbar.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Don’t know if you knew this already, but the way you add partitions in an APFS container is different than adding an HFS+ partition (which you can’t do on an internal APFS drive because the APFS container can’t be resized).

Instead of using the Partition tab, you can add an APFS volume to can existing APFS container by selecting the container in the sidebar and clicking the + button in the toolbar.
I see what you're talking about, but when I go to add a new volume I can only do it as APFS. The partition would have to be FAT32 to run Linux and that's not even an option anymore in Disk Utility on High Sierra...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I see what you're talking about, but when I go to add a new volume I can only do it as APFS. The partition would have to be FAT32 to run Linux and that's not even an option anymore in Disk Utility on High Sierra...

Did the FAT32 partition option get removed from both the command line and the GUI?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm not running 10.13 and am too lazy to check the release notes to see whether this works yet... but can you use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition instead?

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
I'm not running 10.13 and am too lazy to check the release notes to see whether this works yet... but can you use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition instead?
Boot Camp does not work in High Sierra at the moment. One of the reasons I downgraded back to Sierra.

cormo`

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2013
Munich
The boot camp assistant has the same problem with creating a partition as the disk utility, the reason is the kernel dump partition.

I installed win 10 on an external ssd usb drive and only downloaded the boot camp tools from the assistant, that works like a charm. Probably there is also an option to run your linux from an external drive.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Yeah this is most definitely something with High Sierra and the new Apple File System. Hopefully Apple or at least a third-party developer will come up with a work around for those of us wanting to partition internal APFS drives in a non-APFS format. That sounds like an engineering nightmare, and I’m sure whatever MacOS team at Apple who got assigned that are thrilled haha.

In the meantime, I’m going to keep running the HS beta because I’ve had very few problems with it (other than the partitioning thing obviously) and just create a persistent boot loader for Kali on a memory card.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Yeah this is most definitely something with High Sierra and the new Apple File System. Hopefully Apple or at least a third-party developer will come up with a work around for those of us wanting to partition internal APFS drives in a non-APFS format. That sounds like an engineering nightmare, and I’m sure whatever MacOS team at Apple who got assigned that are thrilled haha.

In the meantime, I’m going to keep running the HS beta because I’ve had very few problems with it (other than the partitioning thing obviously) and just create a persistent boot loader for Kali on a memory card.

I'd be willing to bet that your EFI partition isn't at least 200MB and the first partition on the drive..... or is it? I had the exact same problem because Journalling wasn't enabled, and my EFI partition was only 100MB as I originally specified it to be for Windows. Give it a shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.