Can't Pick Startup Disk (merged)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Apr 11, 2013.

1. dastinger, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

IGNORE THIS POST. READ THE SECOND ONE ONLY. Threads were merged with different issues (which is stupid imo) and I'd like people to pay attention to the second issue. Thank you

Hi,

I own a mid 2012 Retina MBP and I'm having an issue for 2/3 weeks now. Everytime I try installing some app that installs through an assistant, I get the 'Installation Failed' message at the end. The app installs fine but I get it all the time! I formatted the MBP after that started happening (for other reasons) but that didn't go away and it still happens. All I recovered were the files (Movies, Music , Pictures and Documents).

I'm talking about this screen (not on this app.. I just Googled and found this image):

http://i.imgur.com/oaeJ5ig.png[img]

Any idea? :confused:

10.8.3 btw.

2. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Can't pick Boot Disk

Hi,

I own a mid 2012 Retina MBP and I'm having an issue when I try picking the boot disk. I don't know for how long the issue is there but I noticed that I was getting the spinning ball while on the grey screen at boot so I decided to Google and one of the known solutions was to choose the boot disk under System Preferences. But, when I try it, this happens:

[​IMG]

I searched for a solution but all of them talked about some .plist file that is already there and all the solutions were directed to Lion. I'm on 10.8.3. Any idea of how to fix this?

I have a Boot Camp partition as well btw but I don't need to do anything to boot into OSX. The MBP boots directly into OSX but I can't get to actually choose the boot disk. I don't think it hurts performance (maybe at boot up) but it's annoying that it's happening while it wasn't supposed to.

Thank you

3. KillaHurtz macrumors newbie

4. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Already done it before. Didn't have any wrong permissions. Yesterday, right after opening this thread, I installed Microsoft Office and the installation was successful so maybe there's a pattern that I didn't recognize before. I'm a bit more concerned with the other issue (the one that was merged to this thread). Anyway, if I find that pattern or if I install something that fails, I'll make sure I copy/paste what the Console says about it here.

Thank you