Can't pick up watch on opening day?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Newtons Apple, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Whilst not confirmed by Apple I believe there have been strong reports that this is indeed going to be the case at least initially. Probably after a few weeks or months it will be possible to walk in and buy one.

3. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

This is going to make some people very unhappy. It will help with stopping the scalpers but I think this could be for another reason. Possibly inventory not capable of keeping up with demand. Would not be the first time we saw something like this

4. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Why not pre-order for in-store pickup? I just spoke with my friend who manages a local Apple Store and he assured me that this would be possible.

5. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Why not just have them deliver it to your house.

6. hemolyzer macrumors member

A lot of people live towards the end of their local FedEx distribution route so packages don't get delivered until very late in the day, like 8 or 9pm. That would be torturous.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Wasn't there something that you can preorder for in store pickup but that process will only start on day 1? On April 10th you can only preorder for delivery I believe.

For example, you can walk in and try a watch with an appointment on the 24th, but you can buy one right there if stock is available.

8. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

There will be no stock (with few exceptions in the most popular stores) for walk-ins on launch day. This has been confirmed. You will have to reserve a watch in order to purchase it on launch day.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup. And for people that are walk ins, they'll just be redirected to make a reservation.

10. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sounds like it will STILL get you a watch sooner:rolleyes:

11. Hummingbird12 macrumors newbie

Likewise I'm travelling that day so can only pop in to a store first thing or not get it at all.

12. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

It has been confirmed by Apple that walk in purchases of the Apple Watch on April 24 will not be possible. Users who wish to purchase the Apple watch will have to either Pre-Order the Apple Watch between this Friday (April 10 - April April 23). Other options for buyers is to purchase and reserve for pickup. Order the Watch online/Phone and register a pickup date, time & location. Essentially this will be the only Apple product where Scalpers or individuals waiting in line for purchase will not exist. However a line of individuals waiting to pickup their watch will be present.

13. comptr macrumors 65816

same here I am traveling and will be out of town so I need to have it delivered it to a store or reserve it for pick it up at a store.

14. AJsAWiz, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Sounds like a good idea since I understand that (pre orders made) be shipped anyway but to the Apple Store instead of your house if you choose in store pick up.

----------

Yep, like re directed to one of their computers so you can order online :D

----------

I will be going out of town (will be pre ordering this Friday) but will "high tail" it back here on the 23rd just for this. :p

15. comptr macrumors 65816

Can't pick up watch on opening day?

Well I can't do that so I need to pick it up there.

16. pmau macrumors 65816

I think a much bigger problem is this: Imagine you are a starving kid in a country in Africa and one day a western woman joggs through your village, telling you she's training for a marathon and this works so much better, because she has that shiny thing on her wrist.

And ... in the case it's getting uncomfortable, she has several bands to show off and makes videos about it.

Now, compared to entering a store and not being able to buy that sparkly thing immediately, this is really outstanding.

If I would be that kid in some county in Africa, I would be slightly annoyed.

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

My fed ex delivery for apple events is typically around 1300 or so.... I can be in and out of the store 20 minutes after they open with this type of roll out so why would I not hit the store?

----------

Not sure your first statement is correct. I believe you can schedule for in store pickup aka making an appointment to pick it up. "have it waiting for you" as they say.

18. Newtons Apple, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Everyone is different but the last place I want to be on the day of introduction, would be at the Apple Store. It is crazy there on the weekend and I saw what happened with the 6/6+. Not me. Enjoy.

I do not think you will be in and out in 20 minutes but more power to you if you think so. Do the "waters part for you often"?

19. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

If you already know this could be the case why would it be torturous? Your still getting it launch day.

20. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I will not be getting one but I hope that Apple gets the bugs worked out of the preorder/pickup system so people at least know what is happening. Inventory will be a big question.

21. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It'll be interesting to see if there is an in-store pickup option when the pre-orders go live and if there is an express shipping option. I know with the iPhone 6, I had three options: regular free delivery (UPS showed up at 8:30pm), express for like $20 (guaranteed by 10am) or in-store pickup when the store opened at 9am. Obviously in-store was the fastest and most economical.

22. crispApple macrumors regular

crispApple

So let's say I want the watch bad. But I can wait about a week after the 24th. Can I walk in and buy one then?

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

Going by recent reports that's unlikely. It may well be several weeks or even months before walk in purchases are possible.

24. sterl320 macrumors 6502

If there are any available.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm pre-ordering on the 10th for in store pickup on tye 24th. I'll take the day off. I want my new toy.