Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
YES if this CD was available in the apple music store I would have bought it but since it was not I had to buy on eBay. Anyways I cant play CD's. Have rebooted my Mac to no fix. Hitting the play button does nothing as the CD's don't play. They show but just don't play with no error message.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
Do you connect the apple super drive directly or through a Hub? I connect it via a TS4 Caldigit Dock/hub. If it does not start playing, I unplug the TS4, replug it and then I get the CD playing in Apple Music. I am running Sonoma 14.5
1715747681517.png

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I just updated my external boot drive to 14.5 yesterday (on a 2018 Mac Mini).

I have an old Apple [formerly internal] DVD/CD drive repurposed into an external enclosure:
Assembled.JPG

I just booted up the 2018 to 14.5.
Connected the old DVD/CD drive.
Put into it a home-burned audio CD.
The icon for the CD mounted on the desktop.
I opened the icon and right-clicked on the first track, and selected to open it with Quicktime Player.

The music plays.

It's not 14.5 -- your problem may lie somewhere else.

Try this:
Is that "Music" you're using in the window above?
If so, QUIT IT (or if it's iTunes, quit it as well).
Do you see the icon representing the music CD on the desktop?
Open it.
Do you now see the icons representing the audio tracks on the CD?
RIGHT CLICK (or CONTROL-click) on one of them and KEEP HOLDING DOWN the mouse button.
You should see a contextual menu of the various apps that might be able to open the track.
Try EACH ONE and see what happens.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

I have an old Apple [formerly internal] DVD/CD drive repurposed into an external enclosure:
View attachment 2378404

I opened the icon and right-clicked on the first track, and selected to open it with Quicktime Player.

The music plays.

Try this:
Open it.
RIGHT CLICK (or CONTROL-click) on one of them and KEEP HOLDING DOWN the mouse button.
You should see a contextual menu of the various apps that might be able to open the track.
Yes QT player works but this defeats the purpose of the music app. Must be a new bug. I wonder if apple knows.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Could be the CD itself; consider the source: eBay. Quality may be poor. Have you tried one or more commercial CDs, a CD that you may have purchased at a B&M store in the past and still have around?
Works just fine on boombox and other audio cds are having issues on Mac as well. I have more than a hundred CD’s and DO NOT want to have to only use boombox for CD’s over Mac. I would submit a bug report on Apple feedback form but they don’t take that one seriously so this bug may not get fixed.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

View attachment 2378404

The music plays.

Try this:
Open it.
Play's with another user account just fine so there has to be a corrupted plist file but google searches are anything but WORTHLESS.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I had so many issues with a brand new iMac M3 with a clean new install after the 14.4 update. I ended up erase all contents and setting to start all over again. It's been 10 days since my last crash and even the BT on my Magic Trackpad is working better than ever.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I had so many issues with a brand new iMac M3 with a clean new install after the 14.4 update. I ended up erase all contents and setting to start all over again. It's been 10 days since my last crash and even the BT on my Magic Trackpad is working better than ever.
2 corrupted plist files as apple support found them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.