Cant Play DVD cant Rip DVD.. wtf ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomahawk, Dec 30, 2008.

1. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

Alright so my bro bought the movie "step brothers" and he couldn't play it on his dvd player. which is BS cuz it should right? so then he asks me to put it on his ipod so i pop it in MTR and the thing is ARccOS encrytpion. so im like ok, and i hit the go button to start ripping wth all the RCE stuff in action. The thing rips it ok but MTR just suddenly turns off, not crashes, just turns off after it starts ripping the movies!!

How can i rip this movie with ARccOS encryption. this is BS putting an encryption on a dvd thats soo high that not even DVD players can read it! And worst he bought the DVD doesnt that give us the right to put it on his own ipod??!!?

I need help please!!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, it's not the copying of the DVD that's illegal (although the MPAA would think otherwise - they say you're not buying the movie, you're buying a license to view the movie in a DVD player. They want to be able to charge you separately for DVDs, iPods etc). Circumvention of DRM is banned in the DMCA. Hmm, but are you actually in Japan? So Japanese law would apply.

Actually, if you're in Japan ... are the DVD and the player different regions?

Anyway, some DVDs are hard to copy. Try Ripit - you can get a trial version that lasts a few days to see if it works. It worked for me with Kung Fu Panda and Prince Caspian (bought for the kids, both surprisingly enjoyable movies), when MTR wouldn't.

3. thomahawk thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

Thanks!! RipIt worked! i can now rip and convert it to put it on the ipod. i guess i could burn a compressed copy so that my bro can play it on his dvd player at least.

i think i might buy this program as well.

thanks for helping me out