Can't play purchased music IMAC G5

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
It can't be the computer.
I have purchased maybe 10 songs since I got it.
For the last month, I can't get it to play.
It wants me to sign in to authorize the song when I press on it.
Which is a hassle because I have dial up.
Then it wants me to download a new version 4.7 which I already had but downloaded anyway. But I have checked my harddrive and it seems to be in
there.
Now since I have been fooling with it, it says error 502 occured please try again!
Apple won't answer any questions it says check website. :mad:
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
brobson said:
It can't be the computer.
I have purchased maybe 10 songs since I got it.
For the last month, I can't get it to play.
It wants me to sign in to authorize the song when I press on it.
Which is a hassle because I have dial up.
Then it wants me to download a new version 4.7 which I already had but downloaded anyway. But I have checked my harddrive and it seems to be in
there.
Now since I have been fooling with it, it says error 502 occured please try again!
Apple won't answer any questions it says check website. :mad:
OK

You have iTunes on your iMac.

You have purchased several songs, which means that you set up an iTunes account and paid for them - I assume the purchases were made on this machine (sound like it in your post).

So now you try to play them and iTunes tells you you have to authorize the songs? That's not normal. Only when you transfer your music from one computer to another.

Anyway, what does entering your password have to do with dial up?

Perhaps you should save your music on a separate portion of your hard drive, remove iTunes and load the latest client. Then you can import these songs and try again.

Do you have an iPod you're working with?
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
31
iGary said:
So now you try to play them and iTunes tells you you have to authorize the songs? That's not normal. Only when you transfer your music from one computer to another.
No, its normal to have to authorize the computer you buy it on for some computers (like mine when I first got iTunes, even though its Windows)

---

Go to a library or something and download 4.7.1 on a flash drive or something...

Then play the song and type in your password to authorize the machine...

It isn't hard at all... if it was, would the iPod be the #1 HD based music player in the world?
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
dotdotdot said:
No, its normal to have to authorize the computer you buy it on for some computers (like mine when I first got iTunes, even though its Windows)

---

Go to a library or something and download 4.7.1 on a flash drive or something...

Then play the song and type in your password to authorize the machine...

It isn't hard at all... if it was, would the iPod be the #1 HD based music player in the world?
Interesting, I have three Macs, and the two that aren't on my main machine always asked to be authorized.
 

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
1,259
73
Southern California
dotdotdot said:
Go to a library or something and download 4.7.1 on a flash drive or something...

Then play the song and type in your password to authorize the machine...
I wouldn't do this unless you're sure to be very careful. If you walk away and forget to deauthorize that computer, you've lost one authorization.

On to the problem itself, I'd say check the folder /Users/Shared/SC Info on your hard drive. Does it exist and do you have permission to write to it? That's where authorization info is stored. iTunes usually writes the info there the first time you authorize the computer, and then you should never need to do it again.

If that doesn't help, I'd try renaming your iTunes preferences to get a fresh copy. Who knows, maybe something got corrupted? The file in question is Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist under your home folder.

And if that doesn't do it, it almost sounds like you have an older version of iTunes sitting around somewhere on your hard drive, maybe not in the usual place? This is a long shot, but you might check the version in iTunes menu -> About iTunes. Who knows?? :confused:
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
I did repair permissions.
In the first aid right?

The file in my library for itunes is there, how do I rename it?
:confused:



Why won't itunes support me and answer this question I wonder?
Thanks so much
Brenda

PS
I don't have an ipod.

Dial up is a hassle because it ties up my phone line just to access a song.
Plus it takes awhile to get on.
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
brobson said:
The file in my library for itunes is there, how do I rename it?
:confused: .
Don't rename it. What happens when you try to play a song while connected to the internet and you type in your password?
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
Mechcozmo said:
Don't rename it. What happens when you try to play a song while connected to the internet and you type in your password?

I get a screen change that says I need to download the newest version. Which I did even though I already had it.

Then it's back to sign in please screen.

I don't know who to contact. I emailed but havent' heard back.
 

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
5,478
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
brobson said:
I get a screen change that says I need to download the newest version. Which I did even though I already had it.

Then it's back to sign in please screen.

I don't know who to contact. I emailed but havent' heard back.
Did you install 4.7.1 after downloading it?
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
kingjr3 said:
Did you install 4.7.1 after downloading it?

Each time I try it says the application installer has unexpectedly quit.

Submit report (which I never can-I have AOL)
 

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
5,478
1
Fuquay Varina, NC
brobson said:
Each time I try it says the application installer has unexpectedly quit.

Submit report (which I never can-I have AOL)
Well you'll need iTunes 4.7.1 before you can play but it sounds like you have other issues at hand as well. What OS are you using? If you are using OS X, have you repaired permissions, run maintenance scripts, and fsck'ed lateley?
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
I am OS 10.3.5
and itunes says itunes 4.6 when I go to about itunes.
When I look in my download manager in software update I see I downloaded itunes 4.7 in OCT.

What should I do??
 

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
5,215
2
Go to Disk Utility (Applications->Disk Utility). Click on your hard drive there (on the left). Then click on First Aid. Find the button that says "Repair Permissions" and click on it.

After that, run Software Update. Let it update everything. After all of that is said and done, see if you have any issues. It may suck having to download all of that but if you do it at night then it shouldn't bother you too much.
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
NO DICE

Still can't make it work.
I won't be buying songs obviously.
Wrote itunes again, we'll see.
B :mad: :confused: :(
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
Uninstall for Windows

They kindly sent me instructions on how to uninstall for Windows! :mad:
Don't these people listen????

How do I uninstall itunes for mac? :confused:
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,003
101
Phoenix, AZ
CHRIST!!!!

DIAL UP, run software update the download all the necessary stuff (overnight), then COME BACK.
You are using outdated software....Apple released an update to iTunes (4.7) to combat a hack. Just leave the computer online overnight.
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Alternatively:
Write down the list of updates that Software Update is nagging you about (and you are ignoring).

Then go to a friend's Mac who has a highspeed internet connection, from www.Apple.com/support search for and download the full versions of all of the updaters, then burn those updaters to a CD. Then, take the CD home and use the CD files to update OSX to 10.3.8, Quicktime, Security Update, iTunes, iChat, iCal, iLarry, iCurly and iMoe on your iMac until you are completely up to date.

Then dial up and open iTunes, and respond appropriately to the authorization request. It should be done in like 10 seconds, and you can get on with your MacMusicalLife without further stress.
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
I am about to scream

I did all these things and it is still not working!
It keeps wanting me to download 4.7.1, It is donowloaded and installed! :mad: :confused: :( :mad:
 

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
519
0
Buffalo, NY
People still use dial-up? ;)
Okay you have 4.7.1? Not just 4.7?
I know you've said that its been downloaded, but
with itunes open go to the menu bar and click iTunes
and select about iTunes, is it 4.7.1?
 

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
457
0
Brenda,

Even with dial-up, authorizing iTunes is easier and faster than loading MacRumors Forums into a browser, which you are obviously able to do.

Can you play CDs and non-purchased music files (MP3s, AACs) in iTunes?

Did you purchase the songs from iTunes Music Store (iTMS)? On this same computer? Have you ever been able to play your purchased songs? I think that as of a few weeks ago, iTunes 4.7.1 is required to play protected AAC files (iTMS songs).

Have you authorized any other computers to play your iTMS music? If so, how many? If five, then you are out of authorizations.

My advice for you at this point, is to ask someone you know to come to your iMac in order to take a look at your situation and help you.

More than likely the problem is not iTunes, yet probably the connection through AOL.

BTW, (to answer your question) to un-install a program in OS X, just find the program (usually in the Applications folder) and drag the icon into the Trash.
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
Hmmm

When I go to Itunes it scrolls 4.6. What's that about????

I bought the computer in Sept.

Yes I have purchased the songs and been able to play them and yes I have another computer that has permission to play them.
 

brobson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
455
3
Dallas
But....

When I go into my System profile under Software/ Applications/ iTunes it says 4.7.1.