Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
I have no idea why I can not play L4D2 and Counter strike on Mac Pro 2010. On Macbook pro it works perfectly but I kept getting a weird message if I start the game. It was somewhat related to texture thing but I can not sure about it. I re downloaded steam client for few times and re installed games several times but nothing solved. I asked steam that I have this problem and they told me that the graphic card is old to support those game but I played those games with HD5870 and now I have gtx 1060 6gb OC version. Anyone know why?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have no idea why I can not play L4D2 and Counter strike on Mac Pro 2010. On Macbook pro it works perfectly but I kept getting a weird message if I start the game. It was somewhat related to texture thing but I can not sure about it. I re downloaded steam client for few times and re installed games several times but nothing solved. I asked steam that I have this problem and they told me that the graphic card is old to support those game but I played those games with HD5870 and now I have gtx 1060 6gb OC version. Anyone know why?

Maybe the game is doing a dumb model check and doesn't even look at the GPU, it just knows that your model of machine originally shipped with GPU X that doesn't work.

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
Maybe the game is doing a dumb model check and doesn't even look at the GPU, it just knows that your model of machine originally shipped with GPU X that doesn't work.

So what should I do? Not even possible to play games on Mac Pro 2010?

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
L4D2 should run on any GPU that came with 2010 Mac Pros. The issue may come from the fact that the GTX 1060 never shipped on an actual Mac and is not recognised.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have issues with a couple games and Steam on my Mac Pro 4,1. On Counterstrike GO, before it will run I have to right click on Counterstrike GO in Steam and select properties. I then select the Local Files tab and verify integrity of game files. It always tells me a file is missing and asks me if I want to install it. After I do, the game runs fine until I restart my computer.

L4D2 might use the same engine as Counterstrike so it's probably a single issue. If you do a search online, it looks like other Mac Pro users have complained since they made a Counterstrike game patch that addressed some auto config issues that fixed things for other Macs but caused issues for older Mac Pro users. One work around that was suggested was to put "-autoconfig" in the launch options in the general tab for the game steam properties.

You should be able to eventually run it but you will have to do some digging and try different things out. I doubt that Steam technical help will actually help you :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.