Can't plug Time Capsule into wireless modem; what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zaqfalcon, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

Hi, I used to plug a Time Capsule directly into a wireless modem but have moved house and am now sharing wireless internet. Consequently the wireless modem is elsewhere in the house and I can no longer plug it in. What do I need to do please?

I'm not very network savvy but have been trying to figure it out and read about wireless repeaters and extenders, and bridge mode and extended mode of the TC, and maybe needing an Apple Airport Express but I'm now thoroughly confused??

Some clear direction on options and instructions on what I'd need to do would be greatly appreciated, especially with Airport and Time Machine settings to ensure my backups continue properly. Thanks in advance for the help with this.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You may be able to participate in a WDS if the main router in the house supports it.

By far the easiest method would be to attached the TC, via an ethernet cable, to the existing router and sit the old router on top of it. This means you will be able to create your own 'private' wireless network.