Can't print from Office 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lil' brudder, Jan 12, 2012.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I've got a Core 2 Duo iMac (first aluminum iMac) running OS 10.6.8 that is unable to print to any printers on our network from any of the Office 2011 suite (latest version). It used to print fine, but it stopped working a couple of days ago. No new applications installed, no updates run, no new printers added. Printing to all printers works 100% fine through TextEdit and Preview, so it is exclusive to Office. Any idea what might have gone wrong? I've tried printing new and old documents with no difference. Also, for now I'm exporting to PDF and printing from Preview, but it isn't ideal. Any help is much appreciated.

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Have you tried reinstalling Office 2011. That should do the trick.

3. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, I just re-installed Office with no effect. I've tried everything I can think to do - I was just hoping someone else had experienced this and could help me out.

4. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

After further research, I've come up with what I think the problem might be:
    I think the hard drive is failing, causing a permissions issue that is preventing the printer from working. Sometimes off and on other applications are unable to print as well, which is what leads me to believe this to be the case. I'm cloning the drive now. Once I get that done, I'll boot from the backup, repair permissions, and attempt to print from there.

The reason I believe this to be the case, besides the fact that the hard drive is several years old, is because the computer has been going to a blue screen with just the cursor on logout and when I first click on a username at the login window, it beachballs and goes nowhere.

Is this plausible?