Can't print with Time Capsule AND AirEx

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tolstoy98, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Tolstoy98 macrumors newbie

Just got my Time Capsule today and had absolutely no problems getting it all set up with my MBP. Created a new wireless network with my AirPort Express in the other room and now I can print wirelessly off two different printers. What a breeze!

Trying to get our two XP machines to recognize the printers? Forget it.

Both XP laptops recognize the Time Capsule with no problems. I can log on to both, and basically it works like its supposed to. But I can't get the XP machines to see the two printers. Frankly, the Apple support pages weren't much help. I tried to create a port with the specific IP address on the AirEx. And I also redownloaded the two HP drivers.

Anyone got any advice?

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

3. ckean macrumors newbie

Time Capsule XP printing solution

I had same problem-- new Time Capsule, HP P2015 printer attached via USB to TC, printer worked fine on imac and Mac Book Pro... also a Sony Vista laptop printed fine. But, 2 XP PCs would not print even after proper HP print driver install and following Bonjour install and Bonjour add printer Wizard. Everything seemed fine except the XP machines would not print.

Problem is a glitch in the Bonjour wizard that sets port incorrectly. On XP machine, go to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes... then right click on your troubled printer. Select "Properties". Select "Ports"...your printer should have a check next to it with "Standard TCP/IP Port" description. Select this line and then "Configure Port" button. Change "Printer Name or IP Address" to the IP of your Time Capsule (get this from running Airport Utility--- probably the IP address is 10.0.1.1).

This worked after countless other tries failed. BTW, Apple support gets an F in allowing this huge issue to continue unfixed--- seems a Bonjour error. When I called Apple support to help with my new Time Capsule they said all they could advise is to run Bonjour--- they would not offer any other help with PCs. Pretty poor considering they hype how Time Capsule works with Macs and PCs.

PS IF this does not work for some reason, an option is to print from your XP PC via printer sharing through your Mac that is printing OK. Need to enable printer sharing on your Mac--- and the Mac must be turned on to print from the XP PC-- not ideal but an option if all else fails