can't prioritize! Ipod Touch vs Xbox 360

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ElDogman, Mar 2, 2009.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

been saving up for a next gen console and was leaning towards the xbox (unless the PS3 starts reducing its price.. which may happen soon if rumors are true)..

but lately I've been pondering an Ipod Touch..

but to make it short

Ipod touch uses - need a planner, probably use Ical. I study a lot of Japanese and there's tons of Japanese applications for it, dictionaries, study guides for tests, etc. I use my DS sometimes for it but there's only one program and its difficult to bring it out because it gets dismissed as a gaming portable. there's more potential for language learning since the touch has so many 3rd party apps. Also will use it for reading PDF and other document files from time to time. For fun uses, probably google earth, internet, occasional video and mp3s. i almost considered a netbook, but I already have a large laptop (with a pretty good video card) and not sure if I want two even if one is small.

Xbox 360 - games I really really want to play: Ace combat 6, Over G fighters. would like to play: SF4, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, RE5 when its out.
    but I also have a crappy TV, one that has only an RF connector.. so I think I will have to buy a tv or monitor. (I only have a PS2 and I had to buy a convertor cable).

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I am trying hard to work out what you really want but I can't for some reason:confused:

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i have both and if i had to give up one id choose the touch. its still awesome but the 360 is better

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd honestly choose a PS3 over both the 360 and the touch. Just my personal opinion. I have all three, and the PS3 is easily my favourite out of all of them (and before you call me spoilt, I actually got a job so I could buy them).

When I first got the PS3 (April 2008), I used it only 3 or 4 times a week, only for an hour or so at the most each time. I didn't use it for about a month before I got my 360 (November 2008). The main reason I got the 360 is because it had, what I thought, were some interesting and appealing games. Well, in the three months since I've gotten it, that's taken over from the PS3 as being the device that barely ever gets used. Since, I've used the PS3 every single day for DVD and blu ray playback...since November I've also bought three times as many PS3 games as I have 360 ones. I know blu ray might not be a selling point for you, it wasn't for me either, but I quickly got sucked in after a bought my first blu ray movie a couple months back. It really is that beautiful to look at. I know you said you don't have a HDTV, but it doesn't mean that you will never have one. For the first six months my PS3 was connected to a 12 year-old standard definition tv.
    With my iPod touch, I use it fairly regularly, but the price...uuggh. If my house were burning down I'd rescue my PS3 before my iPod. Seriously.

Think of it this way - if you'd pay that much for an iPod touch, which is quite a rip off when you see that the 360 is practically the same price [in fact, cheaper if you compare it to the 32 and even 16GB touch], then you may as well just take the plunge and buy a PS3 instead. At least when you do get a touch you won't feel as ripped off when you think back to how your video console cost less than an iPod...

5. dawnraid macrumors regular

I also have all 3. To be fair I hardly ever use my ps3 but use both my ipod touch and 360 on a nearly daily basis. I think the 360 will give you more satisfaction and enjoyment than the ps3 (plus its cheaper). Get the 360

6. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I'm not a huge gamer, so take this with a grain of salt...
    I'd say go for the Touch. A game is just a game, and the XBox will be there when you save more money. You could be using the Touch NOW for lots of truly useful things: all those apps you mention, listening to music etc. Once you start browsing the App Store, you'll find all sorts of terrific uses for the Touch that you never thought of. Plus, you could have some really good games (many of them FREE or very cheap) right in your pocket. To me it would be a no brainer.

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i dont know why you're debating over it. they're 2 completely different things.

ipod is portable and the best 'on the move' device you'll get. not bad for games and great for usefull every day apps. The xbox is static, but infinitely better for gaming. what do you want?

just buy both :)

8. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

he cant afford both. he doesnt have rich parents like you to buy them for him:p

9. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I currently have a PS3 and I had a touch, I'm going to be getting the iPod Touch again soon and plan to get the xBox 360 sometime after that. I also have a netbook, so I will throw in my 2 cents here.

Obviously they are two totally different things, so it is really hard to determine which is better and such, so in the end it all boils down to what you really want.

First, you mentioned you may get the PS3 because of price drops, but there are also rumors that the xBox may have price drops as well, so I'm not sure if you know that or if that would help you make the decision, but that is what I've heard. I have the PS3 and I really like the system, but for me personally, it doesn't have as many games as I like on it. I usually play Wii over the PS3, but I still like having it around for another option and I also use it as a Blu-Ray player. I think for the xBox 360 is going to be a similar situation to the PS3, but again, I like to have the option, so it is still something I would consider. If you are a gamer and you want to update your system, then the xBox and PS3 are a great way to go. When I got my PS3 I only had a tube tv in the room I planned to use it, so for a while I had it on my main plasma tv and then once I found a tv I liked I put my PS3 in the room I wanted. I think the great thing about the new systems is that they have such great graphics, so I think you may miss out on alot of the features of the system without a good HDTV. That's not to say that the games aren't great anyway, its just having a nice TV makes it that much better.

When I had the iPod Touch (for about a month after release) I never really put it down. I found myself constantly finding things to do. There are so many apps available that it makes the device that more interesting and unique. One thing to consider, while they aren't as good as what you get on an actual gaming console, there are alot of really great games in the app store and they can be quite fun and addicting. So, if you can't get both devices, at the very least the iPod would be able to give you a little bit of everything that you would need. The only reason I got rid of my iPod was because I was having problems with it and the store I bought it from couldn't get anymore in and none of my local stores had any and I didn't feel like ordering it. As I mentioned, I'm going to be getting a touch here soon, the only reason I don't have it was because I've been deliberating getting a smartphone instead, but when it is all said and done the iPod Touch wins in my opinion, so I'm going back.

As far as a netbook, I have the Acer Aspire 1, I really like it. It is a great little device and is as easy to take around as a hardbound book, so never really a problem in my mind. While it isn't going to win any speed tests, the netbook does run pretty fast, so for the most part it isn't a pain to use it. I like to take it with me to surf the net if I go to a restaurant with wifi, or do a little work on. It is also nice for when you are watching TV but also want to be surfing the net or something. I have two other laptops that are really more of a desktop replacement, so the netbook was a good choice for me instead of using one of those laptops on the go. You mentioned you would want to use this in place of the iPod Touch for school and such (at least this is how I understood it) if your main purpose would be to keep your homework assignments and things organized, I don't know if this would be my first choice. First, I don't really know of any good scheduling programs, but I'm sure there are some out there. Also, it is a really small laptop, but it isn't as portable as the iPod Touch so you will need more space to take it around with you and it also isn't as convenient to pull it out and put in assignment in and things like that, especially if you don't already have the laptop ready, it does take a little time for it to be functional after waking up. If you, however, are looking for something that you can use to take notes with, as well as stay organized, then this may be a good choice. I find the keyboard really easy to use and it would be perfect for having something to take notes with. Just be sure you get one with a good battery life if you will be using it for the course of your day, the Acer in my opinion doesn't get the best battery life. The netbooks are great devices but not meant to be powerhorses, so they are not lightning fast, can't run everything a normal computer can and some things they just can't run as well, if you plan to game you can, but really basic games are about as far as you can go.

So really, I think all 3 devices would be a great choice. But, you have been saving up the money, so it just is a matter of what you really want and what you really need. I don't think you will be disapointed with any of the options, I have used all three and they are all great.

Good luck with your decision!

10. muldul macrumors 6502

I would go with the 360, i have both, and if i had to chose between the two, i would choose the 360. But then again i would probably buy a nano then

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Between the 360 and PS3, I'd go for the 360. It simply has more games, more genres, better online, more people to play against.

But overall I'd go for the iPod Touch. The 360 is just for games and media playback, the iPod Touch has some real useable features behind it.

iPod Touch gets my vote.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yup. The 360 has one specific purpose: games, which it does excellently at. The Touch performs in all areas. Get the Touch and pick up a 360 later on.

13. budkid macrumors regular

GET THE TOUCH!!!

I use my touch MUCH more than my ps3 and 360. You will enjoy the overall capabilities of the touch.

14. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

I say you guy one and get the other free :D (see sig)

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i think the amount of free time that you have should also play a factor, during the school year (sept-may) i only play my Xbox 360 during the weekends and vacations, otherwise it just sits there; however i do use it a lot when i can so i think it evens out.

and for the iPod Touch, you can use that almost like all of the time for little things here and there (music/email/blaaaah).

16. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

As much as I like this site, it's comments like this that irritate me. Yes, I know I get a lot, and yes I am very grateful, but you don't have to say things like this. I bought my own iPod touch 32gb with money I made from working over the summer. I paid for half of my Xbox 360 with money I also made from chores. (the other half was an xmas present) I bought 95% of all my computer/iPod/gaming gear (aside from my computer itself) with money I WORKED for. I am sorry for those who are not as fortunate as myself, and I know I have been blessed, but comments like these do not help anyone, yourself, myself, and the OP included.

Now, to the OP:
    Go for the iPod touch. I am not saying this because I am on an Apple forum. I think the iPod will be much more useful in the long run. To be honest, I use my iPod touch every day, for anywhere from one hour to four, and my 360 about twice per week for a few hours. Considering your TV, the iPod stands out even more. I have never used a PS3, so I can't comment on that, but aside from videos, I have heard that the 360 is better.