Can't purchase Applecare over the phone in FL?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jessem1133, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

After being on hold for thirty minutes, Apple just informed me I can't buy Applecare over the phone. Because I live in FL. Awesome.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Do you already have your phone? If so, they require to verify it is in working order. That may be why they said you cannot purchase over the phone.

3. Jessem1133 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup. It says right on Apple's page it can be purchased over the phone.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Strange - ignore my previous post :)

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

According to the website, Apple can connect to your phone remotely to check for problems. Once you do that and provide proof of purchase, you can get AppleCare+

"How to get AppleCare+
    Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
    Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:
    At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)
    By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)"

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S...a8dbaf73d9b407c8852466b68bffc33331d22a0cf6692

Unfortunately, Florida legislature passed a law requiring items like AppleCare+ to be purchased in person.

6. bronzini macrumors member

yep, I did it over the phone last week. Easy.

7. pish6969 macrumors regular

Could be just a per state type of thing. Some states may have different laws when it comes to this?

I purchased mine over the phone last week no problems here in NJ

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Can this been bought over the phone or for the website if you bought through Verizon

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Florida law prevents that, unfortunately.

----------

Unless your state prevents it, you can purchase over the phone with Apple by calling the number I posted, and following the steps for remote connection and proof of purchase.

10. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

Yes. I bought over the phone after buying on Verizon website.

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

No it can't. Florida law doesn't allow it. You have to go to an Apple store in person to buy it. Ask me how I know#

12. pish6969 macrumors regular

Yes I got my phone at Verizon store and bought over phone.

To me it's crazy they give people insurance without physical inspection. I could have had a smashed up phone that still worked as far as diagnostics and they would never know.

I'm not complaining though!

----------

Let me guess....you went thru what op did?

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Unfortunately I did.

14. pish6969 macrumors regular

Honestly they should probably do that in all states. I'm sure there are people calling up with broken phones and then walk in next day for a new phone for $79

15. bgro macrumors 6502a

16. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

To everyone saying the Florida law prevents that, you are wholly incorrect. You can buy AppleCare over the phone, you just have to make sure you tell them and they will transfer you to someone who is authorized to sell to you in Florida. I have done it numerous times. I just did it with my iPhone 6. If one of the representatives tell you that they cannot sell AppleCare to you, insist on being transferred to supervisor or someone else.

The process is simple once you get to the person you need to speak to. They text you a link which runs a diagnostic on your phone to make sure everything is okay, and then they send you an email with a link to a page that you can enter your credit card information on to buy the warranty.

17. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Fla laws can be weird, like you cant buy extended warranty for your car from any other dealer outside the state except at dealers from within fl (Hondacare)