Can't put display to sleep when encoding

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlexisV, Oct 22, 2007.

1. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Whenever I encode a DVD with iDVD, the display/screensaver settings are ignored and the screen stays on permanently. This is pretty annoying when you're trying to sleep in the same rooms as the Mac as it throws out a lot of light!

Is there anyway to get the display to go to sleep when it's running iDVD? I'm using the 2.4Ghz 20" alu iMac.

2. muusevic macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same problem, and it's indeed VERY annoying because I do my encoding over night and I'm sleeping right next to may computer...

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its probably because youve only set your computer to go to sleep after a certain amount of time and not the display. if your ripping DVDs the CPU is not idle and the machine wont go to sleep until it is idle after the amount of time you have set.

in the energy saver preferences set your computer to go to sleep after however long you think it will take to rip the dvd and set the display to turn off after a certain amount of time. the display should turn off even if the computer is not idle.

if this still doesnt work you can set a screen corner to turn off the display. set this in the exposé and spaces preferences.

or you could always turn the screen brightness down.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just set up a "hot corner" for "sleep display" - that is what I do when I'm encoding, works just fine.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats pretty much what i said in my third paragraph right?

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

No, you said "screen corner" and I said "hot corner".

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I do this too. My bottom left corner activates the screen saver and my bottom right corner puts the display to sleep, which comes in very handy when I'm encoding movies overnight or are away from the computer.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

see the correct name is "screen corners"

haha dont worry bout it man i dont mind. just having a laugh! ;)

Attached Files:

9. muusevic macrumors newbie

I have done all of that, I'm using apple computers for a long time and I know these prefs, but while encoding video in iDVD, the computer ignores them...

10. jacklink01 macrumors member

jacklink01

same here

i think that we all know how to put the display to sleep.

the problem is that it will not stay asleep for even 3 seconds after you put it to sleep (even with hot corners/screen corners)

I also have a 20" alu iMac, Does anyone think that the problem may only occur on the iMacs?

I make DVD's ALL the time. So not being able to put it to sleep while i'm trying to sleep is not very helpful.

any thoughts?

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dudes

ctrl-shift-eject

all will be well

do it now