Can't put keys back on Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by isharan, Sep 10, 2009.

1. isharan macrumors member

Hey all,

I have an aluminum wired apple keyboard and I'm trying to rearrange the keys to a Dvorak layout. Everything went fine except for 4 keys in the top row (the row right below the numbers). For some reason, I can't put 4 keys back in over there. Any ideas?

If its a mechanical problem, can I take it to the genius bar to get it fixed?

Thanks guys!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hope you knows the keys are not designed to be removed. That said, is the "spring" broken? Like the hinges and levers.

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

That was one of the great things about the old keyboards - you could easily pop off all the keys to give them a bath and then pop them back on (when dry). :)

I hope you realise that simply rearranging the keys will achieve nothing ... except cause utter confusion (especially for other users of the computer if there are any) when you press a key and get a completely different character. :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's fun part isn't it?

Of course my solution was to get a blank keyboard.

5. isharan thread starter macrumors member

Haha, I guess I need to rearrange the keys back to QWERTY :)

Either way, any ideas on getting them back in?

6. Buzz Bumble Guest

I've never tried to take the keys off the aluminium keyboards, but as alphaod said, I doubt they are designed to be taken off. Laptop keyboards, which is essentially what the aluminium keyboards are, are notoriously difficult to get the keys off of without breaking them and fiddly (at best!) to get them back on.

Keyboards and mice tend to be "throw away" items - when they break most people (including Apple's repair techs) will simply throw them out and replace them with a new one. Even on a laptop, if a key breaks off they will replace the entire keyboard rather than try and replace just one key.

7. 7031 macrumors 6502

I know this is an old thread, but I did convert my aluminum wireless keyboard to Dvorak. The trick is to pry from the top, while holding down the bottom of the key, and then wiggle it out. Putting it in basically means pushing down on it until it clicks in.