Can't Pwn 2G iPhone !!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blimeyoriley, Sep 18, 2008.

1. blimeyoriley macrumors member

Hi , i really need someone's help - got myself into such a mess !!

Basically my friend has a 2G iphone which he bought from New York in Nov 2007. The firmware version was 1.1.1.

I remember jailbreaking it with jailbreakme.com and unlocking it with AnySim 1.1

Recently he asked me if I could upgrade it to the new 2.1 firmware. Ok, i was a bit rusty, hadn't hacked an iPhone for aages but i gave it a go.

First i wanted to Re-Lock the AnySim lock , but i read somewhere that this was unecessary.

So OK, i put his iPhone into DFU and restored + updated with iTunes to 2.1.

Everything seemed to be going great, the restore was sucessful, and his fone returned to the Slide For Emergency screen.

Then i created the custom 2.1 firmware with Pwnage software, and tried to restore using iTunes ( alt + restore )

But everytime I do this i get the following error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6)"

Infact everytime I ( alt + restore ) to any other firmware version I get the same error (sometimes with a different number)

I have tried different cables, all USB ports, tried on VMWare running XP, even tried on a Vista PC, but keep getting the same error !!

Someone please help , my friend is moving away on Sunday , and needs his phone before then !!

Thank You !!

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Use quickpwn it doesn't use itunes to restore custom firmware.

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Did you put the phone in DFU before restoring to the Custom .IPSW?

4. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for your advice, but I actually solved it myself before reading the posts !!

Here's what I did in case anyone is interested:

1.Found a PC with iTunes 7.7

2.Uninstalled

3.Installed iTunes 7.5

4.Renamed the iTunes 7.7 ituneslibrary file (as 7.5 said it couldn't read it, so wouldn't open !). 7.5 then created a new ituneslibrary file

5.DFU'd iPhone and shift restored to 1.1.4

6.Found a computer with iTunes 8 (my MBP in this case)

7.alt restored the PWND 2.1 firmware !!

Basically the problem is that iTunes has an issue with downgrading firmware. For example I found i couldn't "downgrade" my 2.1 iPhone on iTunes 8 ( to anything !! i tried 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4 ). Even the custom 2.1 firmware wouldn't work because iTunes saw this as a "downgrade"

But when i connected the iPhone to iTunes 7.5 (which didn't support the 2.1 firmware) it let me "downgrade" to 1.1.4.

I could then use iTunes 8 to go from 1.1.4 to the custom 2.1 !!

Infact I actually initially downgraded to 1.1.1 in iTunes 7.5, then tried to go from 1.1.1 to custom 2.1 in iTunes 8, but this gave me a 1600 error !!

So i'm not sure about 1.1.2, or 1.1.3, but you can definitely go from 1.1.4 to a custom 2.1 on iTunes 8 !!

I hope my experiences save someone some valuable time !! Took me 15 hours of trial and error to finally complete the upgrade !!

5. davidn3 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm new here.

I am having the same problem as you. I am on mac, and I deleted itunes and installed itunes 7.5. When I try to downgrade from 2.1 to 1.1.4 I get an error message.(1604) Do I have to be on windows for it to work? If any one has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks.

David