Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I've been wondering, why would you like to rate songs? Why would you purchase/download 1-star songs? I mean, if you purchase an album and don't like a song you can delete it as we all would obviously want quality, 5-star songs in our libraries. Am I missing something?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I've been wondering, why would you like to rate songs? Why would you purchase/download 1-star songs? I mean, if you purchase an album and don't like a song you can delete it as we all would obviously want quality, 5-star songs in our libraries. Am I missing something?
In my case I have a large library from CD music tracks (songs can be a misnomer) I own in addition to :apple:Music. I spent years using the Star system and have multiple Smart Playlists that use the Star rating for sorting. With the Hearts you either Love or Hate a track and that is all you can do. I don't 'Love' all tracks to the same degree. Some I find OK for background listening, others I like, some I like a lot and some I love. I like being able to differentiate between them.

Analogy: You can't just rate people Love or Hate. You may love your mother and you really like a friend, but would not rate them the same.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You have a default playlist called my top rated. When you 5 star a song it automatically goes into that playlist and on iOS devices can auto sync.

It's a great quick and easy way to tag and carry your favourite tunes with you especially with iTunes Match.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA

If I have 100 songs or more to delete/move into/from a playlist it is a lot easier to do it on my Mac than on my phone. The star-rating could be used to give some granularity to that process and tag things on the phone for bulk processing later. Without the stars, there are just fewer tags to use.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
It seems crazy to me that Apple removed the star rating and made it harder to ❤️ a song and impossible to do it from the lock screen or watch. I'm just hoping they have an even better solution in mind that they're holding back till a later beta.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Star ratings will be back, they've taken it out of beta versions of previous OS's.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Yeah maybe they take the ratings out so that they aren't influenced by a bad beta experience?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I found a way to make or change the Star ratings of a track. You can tell Siri to rate the playing track. Of course you can't see the Stars in iOS 10 but they show up changed in iTunes. Not perfect but at least it is possible and hopefully a good sign.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I found a way to make or change the Star ratings of a track. You can tell Siri to rate the playing track. Of course you can't see the Stars in iOS 10 but they show up changed in iTunes. Not perfect but at least it is possible and hopefully a good sign.
I don't use Siri so this is not an option for me. I change star rating using third party apps called Marvis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.