Can't re-install Aperture!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PkennethV, Apr 11, 2007.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Due to a (couple of) problems I've had (if you are wondering....what the problems were check out this thread but I've got the problem solved now) I've deleted all Aperture related files except my Aperture Library. But now I can't re-install Aperture! After I click "Upgrade" and enter my password, it says "There were errors installing your software. Please try installing again." I have tried dragging the Aperture icon from my backup on an external drive but it says "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "InfoPlist.strings" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)." Any suggestions on what to do?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It sounds like you didn't fully get rid of Aperture because it shouldn't say Upgrade if there isn't evidence of it on the system. I think that some file somewhere still existed from your previous install and it was this that is causing the problems with the new install. I suggest going on a big hunt to try and erase all instances of Aperture so when you run the installer it says "Install" rather than "Upgrade".

As per your second problem i just dragged Aperture from my backup and it went perfectly fine, so maybe there is some other problem a foot. What it is well i cant say. There is always the repair permissions and reboot option.

3. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

I probably wasn't clear when I was saying "I have tried dragging the Aperture icon from my backup on an external drive but it says ..." What I meant was I have a backup of Aperture on my external drive, but I can't get it to copy back to my internal (can't repair permissions on a non-bootable drive). I've also tried copying it to another external drive but that didn't work either.
    I don't know what files I could have left behind. I've deleted...

-The Aperture Application/icon (obviously)
    -Aperture.pkg, ApertureSampleProjects.pkg, and PluginManager.pkg all in
    -The entire Aperture folding in the Applications folder
    -com.apple.Aperture.plist
    -com.apple.RegAperture.plist
    -Aperture System ID in the application support>ProApps folde

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok. got it working now. I downloaded aperture from aple's site (the 14 day trail) and just used my old serial number.