Can't read DVD, warrant a warranty claim?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eshroom, Jan 9, 2011.

1. eshroom macrumors 6502

I have a 13" aluminium Macbook. I recently tried to watch Gomorrah, purchased as a new, original, DVD (highly recommended BTW). When inserted my drive makes a hellish mechanical noise, not scratching, but like it doesn't know where to read from.

The DVD works fine on all the other machines I've tried including a newer Whitebook, a Dell desktop and a standard DVD player. My Macbook hates it though. Other CDs and DVDs work fine on my Macbook though.

The warranty doesn't have too long left, is it worth getting checked out, or am I going to get turned away?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would lean on the side of getting turned away because as you said it will play other DVD's. But hey, if it's still under warranty, bring it in with that DVD and show them. Have a good attitude but don't expect anything and maybe they'll help you out or find a solution to it. You don't have anything to lose by asking.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As SandboxGeneral said, it doesn't hurt to ask, but it's very likely they'll say that it must be a problem with the DVD, not your drive, since it reads other discs with no problem.

4. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Normally I'd agree, but it works on any other Mac I've tried. Next time I head to the big city, I'll take my laptop then.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I know this sounds stupid, but shutdown and restart your MacBook and try again (if you've already restarted and tried, just ignore this post :p).

I had this exact same problem with the Iron Man 2 DVD (which I don't recommend BTW, horrible encoding, the iTunes version is better quality) and it read the DVD just fine after restarting.