can't read gif files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paulk, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Paulk macrumors 6502

Paulk

I've been sent attachments in .gif format by mail, but opening them from the downloads folder I just get a blank window. Any way I can view the image?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Perhaps the image is corrupted, it happens sometimes.
    Try asking them to resent it to you.

3. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

I dont think thats the case here, as I was sent several files and they are all the same. The image is a dot in the centre but increasing it to max I just get a few equally blank small rectangles in the window.

4. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Trying again.

I have a MacBook that I bought a few weeks ago, and am new to Macs. I was emailed some 30 gif files, they are of stylized maps from a play-by-mail game. I have other maps like these in jpg and pdf files and have no problem opening and viewing them. The gif files open in a small window with a dot in the middle that using the + sign I can enlarge to see that it is just a few blue and white stripes.

I have tried to rename some of the gif files as jpg or pdf and using preview to view, but they can't be viewed like that either. I get the message that the file can't be opened and I should check if its corrupt. I've also tried shortening the name of the files from bg_blue_left-1.gif to something shorter in case the name was too long for this or indeed another format. Still no luck.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

hmm.. the mac can handle long file-names with or without non-ascii characters, this means the filename won't cause the problem.

If they're not private you can attach one to the forum as an example? Maybe then, some of us can help identify the problems. Personally, I don't and haven't encountered any such problems, yet.

6. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Attached a file as requested.

Attached Files: