Can't receive email on one account but can on another

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by YMark, Aug 13, 2009.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Until last night, I was sending and receiving email from both my email accounts on Entourage. All of a sudden I am unable to receive from my x...@cox.net account. I can send email just fine.

I can receive email from Cox on their Webmail site and I can also receive email using Mac Mail. I then did the following:

I tested to see if it was my User's folder that had the problem. I went to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switched to the New User. I Launched Entourage and entered the Cox account that was giving me problems under the other user. I was able to send and receive just fine. So I assume settings are correct and it's a problem in my User's account.

I opened the Keychain and found the account. Deleted it.
    I then opened Entourage and delete the Cox account...not just erase info.
    I set up a new (old) Cox account.

I still can NOT receive emails. I'm getting an error, invalid user name and/or password.

I then opened a terminal window and started a trace, executing the following command:
    sudo /usr/local/bin/tcpflow -i en0 -c

I received an error when trying to fetch email:

068.006.019.002.00110-010.000.001.200.60405: -ERR invalid user name or
    password.

This user name and password is the EXACT thing I used under the other user
    account and it worked fine. It also works fine using Mac Mail.

Any ideas on this riddle? I'm snowed.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You changed either the username or the password in Entourage but not in Mail. I know you say you didn't, but ... you did.

3. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

I agree the error points to that. However, I went in to the account and manually entered the password. The password was entered exactly the same under both users as well as Mac Mail. All allowed me to receive email. The Entourage will not allow it, using the same account password.

4. midorix macrumors member

I have COX and I have same problem.
    I can receive e-mails on some accounts but two accounts no e-mails received.
    Everything else works including sending and getting mails through webmail (all of them).

I don't use Entourage.

Any help would be appreciated.

5. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

Did this just start? Mine started last night.

Try a different user, log into that user and see if you can get email from one of the accounts that isn't working.

6. YMark thread starter macrumors 6502a

YMark

Well it looks like I solved the riddle, although I have no idea why this fixed it.

My Cox userID is xxxx@cox.net. This is what I've been using to log into my email account with Entourage. I changed the login to just xxxx (removing the @cox.net).

I am now able to send and receive. Weird.

7. midorix macrumors member

Yes, my issue started yesterday as well. I've received E-mails ok up to noon'ish time.

Yes on second question as well. The bad e-mail account is sending new e-mails okay. I also see all the e-mails being received on the bad account in the POP server (right click bad e-mail account, Get Account Info, Messages on Server).

Since I don't use Entourage, your solution doesn't solve my problem.

Any other ideas?

8. midorix macrumors member

Problem Solved!!!

Got a solution from COX High Speed Internet customer service!

He suggested deleting the first e-mail I didn't receive through Webmail (you can actually forward such e-mail to another account before deleting).
    i.e. if I got 15 out of the 20 e-mails, delete email #16.

Apparently, corrupt e-mail backlogs everything else.

Once that was deleted, I got all my e-mails come through.

Whoo Whooo!