Can't receive texts from specific person only in group message.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dreamliner330, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

My friend has an iPhone 7 and when he is in a text message group of 3 he consistently cannot get texts from one specific person. If that person sends him a text directly, he gets it. If he is in a group of 4, it works fine too.

He had this problem with his iPhone 6. I suggested he try to shut off iMessage and factory reset if that doesn't work. He shut off iMessage and still has the problem. He just got an iPhone 7 (set up as new). Still has the problem.

iPhone is on Verizon. Android phone is on T-Mobile I think.

What do we do?!?!?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

group messages when there is an android device involved are flaky. I would use whatsapp if I'm honest.

3. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So its an iPhone iOS problem then?

Wait. Does everybody have to use Whatsapp?

No, thats dumb.

4. Desimundha macrumors newbie

WhatsApp > when it comes to group messaging

5. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

The problem is SMS text isn't good for group chats and iMessage isn't available on Android.

6. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The other 2 phones are Android and only the iPhone is having this issue not recieving texts in a group from this one specific person. If the group is 4 people, no problem. If the message is sent direct, no problem. Only in a group of 3 is there a problem.

The answer cannot be "force everyone to use a special app because the iPhone is a special snowflake" :/

7. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. bradbomb macrumors regular

The people who are using Android, are they using their original number or their Google Voice number? I remember Google Voice numbers having issues with MMS group chats.

I have a group text where most are Samsung phones and we have no issues of missing texts with pictures & videos.

9. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He said regular phone number. Doesn't have google voice.

Its so weird. Its only this one person in a group of 3 he has problems with. Direct or in a group of 4, no problem. Different group of 3 people, no problems...

10. bradbomb macrumors regular

Has he tried to delete the existing thread in his phone and let it create a new thread. I have had issues on my iPhone where I had a group thread stop working and had to basically create a new thread. It was weird and unexplained, but hasn't happened since iOS 10 came out

11. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

He did a factory reset and got a new 7. So...yes.

Apparently it 'works for a bit, then stops working' but I'm not certain how accurate that statement is. and if it is accurate, its less than one day.

12. laudern macrumors 6502a

You must be new around here to think otherwise....