Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
This is actually on behalf of my wife; so far I haven't experienced this problem, but...

My wife and I both have iPhone 5S with the most recent iOS7 update from last week. We both have iMessage DISABLED because we're stingy with data but we get unlimited texting.

She's having trouble receiving text messages that originate with iMessage. They'll arrive hours, sometimes days, late. And sometimes they show up on her MacBookPro -- despite her never activating iMessage through there! -- but she doesn't want that, she wants them all to show up on her iPhone and in a timely manner but without enabling iMessage.

Now, I've had ZERO problems with iMessage, and I don't receive text messages via my iMac with Mavericks. I checked our settings, we're both set up the same way. What all do I need to check?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
you should open up messages on her mac and go to preferences. Make sure there are no accounts signed in.

As far as not using iMessage because you are trying to save data, you are missing out on convenience to save only a few MB a month. Do you go through your allotted data each month? If not, you may as well use iMessage as you have to pay for the data anyway.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I've yet to see what's "convenient" about iMessage. And yeah, we use up our allotment and I'm trying NOT to.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
This is actually on behalf of my wife; so far I haven't experienced this problem, but...

My wife and I both have iPhone 5S with the most recent iOS7 update from last week. We both have iMessage DISABLED because we're stingy with data but we get unlimited texting.

She's having trouble receiving text messages that originate with iMessage. They'll arrive hours, sometimes days, late. And sometimes they show up on her MacBookPro -- despite her never activating iMessage through there! -- but she doesn't want that, she wants them all to show up on her iPhone and in a timely manner but without enabling iMessage.

Now, I've had ZERO problems with iMessage, and I don't receive text messages via my iMac with Mavericks. I checked our settings, we're both set up the same way. What all do I need to check?

She needs to sign out of iMessage on her Mac. It may have automatically signed in when she entered here Apple ID for iCloud or something.

As for late messages, that is on the senders end. If their phones are set to only send as iMessages, it won't fall back to a SMS unless the sender actively tells it to.

----------

I've yet to see what's "convenient" about iMessage. And yeah, we use up our allotment and I'm trying NOT to.

Read receipts and the ability to switch between devices is what is considered convenient for most people.

Sounds like you need more data, over the span of about 5 weeks I've used 27 MB for iMessage. I send and receive a lot of pictures and video, but I'm also on WiFi often.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

no limit on characters per message, delivery confirmation, read receipts, encrypted, receive them at your phone number on a mac, iPod, or iPad.

iOS 7 will give you a per app breakdown of data usage. You can reset these statistics at the beginning of your billing cycle to monitor what is using up the most data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.