Can't recognize External Hard Drive on 10.4.11 Power PC G4, OK on MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kaitlynalyson, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kaitlynalyson macrumors newbie

I have a PowerPC G4 running OSX 10.4.11 that contains a lot of media files. I want to transfer them to my external hard drive (1 tb) so that I can use them on my newer MacBook.

I was unable to partition or erase anything on the external hard drive from the PowerPC, because I kept getting an input/output error. I followed the same process and was successful at establishing partitions on my MacBook. Now, I plugged my external into the PowerPC to copy the media files, but it isn't recognizing the partitions on the external harddrive! What did I do wrong?

Thank you :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's odd. How did you format the drive, and which partition scheme did you use? Mac OS X 10.4.11 should recognize all 3 partition schemes the Mac OS supports (APM, GPT, and MBR) as well as both FAT32 and HFS Plus disk formats.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Not sure this will work, but worth a shot. Open Disk Utility and see if the drive is there - one of mines does that but does not show up in Finder.

Then if it is there click on the blue hyperlink at the bottom and it should open in Finder.