can't register new Mac with dotmac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bpnkrtn, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bpnkrtn macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and Mini as registered computers with my dotmac account. Got an iMac last Friday and have been unable to register it to my dotmac account? I don't remember a two mac limit? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I open the system preferences and select dotmac and then choose advanced ... usually I get a greyed out option of registering this computer, I select done and then reopen advanced and have the choice to "register this computer." but it does not, I get the spinning circle indicating that it is trying to register ... but it never completes or ends ... ?????

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There isn't a 2 Mac limit: I've got 4 registered on mine! Could be due to the MobileMe migration...

3. jplan2008 macrumors regular

What mail program do you use? I'm not sure, but when I got a new computer, I think I just set up my dot mac account in Mail, and then the info was automatically there in System Preferences for dot mac. I don't remember having to "register" the computer.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not for Mail, for .Mac syncing.

5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I know. But I THINK I just set up account in mail, and then when I went to dot mac, the computer was added -- or it showed me as logged in, and I just went to idisk and set up syncing.

6. bpnkrtn thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a dotmac mail account which mail reads and I have mail set to read my exchange work account .... all working just fine. I just followed the dotmac link for syncing from mail preferences ... got me to the same end point with the same results????

7. bpnkrtn thread starter macrumors newbie

8. zbolan macrumors newbie

I also have had no luck registering either of my two macs, even though i've been a dotmac member for more than 6 years. this is not a recent problem initiated by the mobileme changeover. i am looking forward to some one shining some light on this issue.

cheers
    zac

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Are your Macs already registered with the same name? If they are you'll need to unregister them first.

10. zbolan macrumors newbie

Hi! currently i have no macs registered with dotmac, i've been using it for email only. when i open the "registered macs" pane, it's blank...

11. zbolan macrumors newbie

problem solved

Hi All,

I was able to resolve the registration issue by...

deleting the SyncServices folder in user/Library/application support
    then logging out of dotmac, and back in again...

cheers
    zac