Can't reinstall OS to sell iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dilby, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Dilby macrumors newbie

Hi all-

I'm preparing my iMac to sell, and have followed apple's own list of things to do before selling. I have reformatted the hard drive in disk utility while in recovery mode, and am now trying to reinstall the OS. However when I try to do this it shows that it wants to try to install Sierra, which isn't the OS the machine came with which is what I thought this stage did. It then says it will need to contact apply to verify the machine - so i press ok - and nothing at all happens.

Any ideas?! (Tried posting this direct to the mac forums but they are having issues apparently!)

Thanks

2. GrievingFob606, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2017
  3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Make sure that you boot into Internet Recovery (Cmd-Opt-R) and not just regular recovery.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Command Option R as shown in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT204904 will fix it - If the iMac is a Late 2011 or newer. If it's a Mid-2011 or older, that won't work; you'll want to get a Snow Leopard DVD disc.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unless it's a model that was sold with 10.7 at some point (even if your specific machine came with 10.6), in which case a firmware update will add the functionality.

Confused yet? :)

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman