can't reinstall OS X after stopping HD erase early

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myusernamehere, Jun 22, 2017.

1. myusernamehere macrumors newbie

hello, any advice would be greatly appreciated, i am a novice so more depth would be great, and my apologies for this info being a bit scattered. MacBook Pro late 2011 Sierra. I needed to stop an HD erase early, now I am unable to reinstall Lion (error occurred while installing, or the volume needs to be journaled but that option is then unavailable). I have done a PRAM reset, failed Internet Recovery, failed OS X Leopard install DVD, failed attempt at fixing time/date in Terminal. the only option that works is Disk Utility which shows, the "main HD size and string of #s"...sub to that shows Untitled HD, under that is greyed out Super Drive, disk 2 - Mac OS X Install ESD, and disk 3 - Mac OS X Base System. there are no partition options. The" Untitled HD" verifies as "appears to be OK" however shows an Invalid Disk Label (cksum mismatch) at the same time. I was later able to finish an erase but now receive an error message "couldn't unmount disk". i have no external backup or Time Machine. i had at least backed up my data so im just concerned that the HD is screwed. any ideas? thank you

Attached Files:

2. 960design macrumors 68020

3. myusernamehere thread starter macrumors newbie

hey, thank you for responding. so trying your recommendation, it goes through the internet recovery then to Disk Utility then when I try to install Lion from there I receive a message stating "an error occurred while preparing the installation please try again". so after trying again the computer was able to go through the download and restart, a window with a big grey X pops up and then another error message " error occurred while installing Mac OS x, can't install because disk is not journaled" but I am unable to journal the disk because it is greyed out...?

Attached Files:

4. 960design macrumors 68020

5. myusernamehere thread starter macrumors newbie

it worked! thank you very much! I did not encrypt anything so that's strange that that was the hangup or maybe that protocol cleared something else, i will definitely be keeping that thread you sent. again, thank you

6. 960design macrumors 68020

You are very welcome... I'm pretty good at bringing back from the dead.

You should see some of the zombie threads I revive...