Cant reinstall osx (nonsnow) after installing snow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Clony, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Clony macrumors member

Hi all, i wanted to test out the SnowLeopard, but as i know, its not ready for use as main os use.

I burned the snowleopard onto a dvd, installed it "live" in the os, and works.

But when i take the installation disc's that i got whit my Mb Air in the cd tray (external superdrive) i get one option, and thats to hit restart and boot up from cd to install, but when it boots up again and the chime and gray apple logo screen shows up, the cd is spinning up but after 1min its restarting again. This it goes forever.

What should i do?

I have tried different install disc's, and the computer is a MacBookAir.
    And Apple Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (Build 10A380) are installed....

Thanks!!

2. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

10A380 is remarkably stable, I've found very few kinks with it besides being unable to run AppFresh, Mail appetizer and Spaces crashing from time to time (and no Dock Expose)

As for your problem, I have no idea...

3. Clony thread starter macrumors member

If only multiclutch, istatbar and safari saft where working, i would be using it.. :p

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I hate to say it (okay, I don't *that* much...) but this is what happens when non-developers download and install software that they are not meant to have, and do not take proper precautions for using beta operating systems. Also, one of the rules of the forum(s) here is to not ask for help with pirated software...oh yeah!

5. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Hehe, yeah, i'm totally aware of me as a random mac geek installing snow just for kicks, i see your point and i feel pretty stupid :eek:

Aswell, i should had read more into the rules, but as i have seen, there are many other posts about leopard snow problems and installations, so i thought it was ok to ask questions about this..

I only hope somebody can help me out about the problem of not being able to reinstall to leopard 10.5.7.

Btw, sorry for my crappy english...

6. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Here's what you should do.

-In Snow Leopard, Disk Utility:

1) Create a new image from the install DVD you have, save it as a compressed dmg file on your desktop.

2) Plug in an external HD (or create a partition at least 10-15GB free)

3) In the "Restore tab" of the partition from the external HD, drag the compressed dmg file we created in Step 1 from your desktop into "Source" then drag the destination partition into "Destination". Hit "Restore" and wait.

4) when that's done, go into Sys Prefs, Startup Disk and choose the new install partition that appears.

5) Reboot. You should now be in the Leopard installer.

Hope this works! :)

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

If you can boot from the Snow Leopard install disk you could try running Disk Utility from there and reformatting the drive, then quit the installer and try your original install disk again.

Of course if that doesn't work you'll have no OS at all.

8. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Thansk, but i have 2 cd's given from apple when i bought the mac, cd1 and cd2.

how sould i add them into the external hd? image1 cd1 and image2 cd2?

9. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I would try to just stick the disk in and hold down C to boot from cd rom

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

"Some people here" are trying to get their newbie friends to obey the rules. If "the dude" wants something that it is against the rules for him to have, then he has not come to the right place.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

I find humorous when people download pirated software and then mess up their computer with it. The way I see it it serves them right.

No he is not in the right place if he is requesting help with pirated software.

12. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I have to ask where he said that he got it illegally? jumping to conclusions:(

13. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

If he didn't, he'd be under NDA.

You can run the install program from SL from the terminal. There's an OSInstall.mpkg in there somewhere. 'sudo open' it.

14. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Did not help..

Yeah, I know, I screwed it up. I learn it the hard way. Was easier whit windows to restore and install a fresh os, I'd really hoped that osx where as easy for a installer newbe like me.. :(

From SL? where is that?

15. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Because it isn't C it is Alt, IDK why people say it is C when it isn't.

Try Alt.

16. Clony thread starter macrumors member

When hitting Alt, the hd and cd rom + internettconnection showed up. when i chose Mac OS X Istall disc 1 it does the same again, reboots, chime, gray applescreen and reboot again.

When i take the cd out, it reboots like nothing have happen and goes right into snow leopard..

Edit: i hav also tried the Reset PRAM whit no luck.

17. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Did you try my method?

18. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i made a image file out of installation disc cd1 and draged the compressed dmg file into "Source" then drag the destination partition into "Destination" and hit "Restore", but then i got a : the image needs imagefilescanned before restoring it..

19. DaveF macrumors 6502a

* Restore from your Time Machine backup.
    * Restore from your SuperDuper! or CCC backup.
    * Wipe harddrive and install from "factory" Leopard disks

20. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Dont have Time Machine backup

Restore from superdrive is my main problem whit installing on reboot

How do i wipe harddrive fully out? and by factory leopard disc's, you mean the (2) disk that followed the mac when i bought it or the one i have to buy in stores whit only 1 disc?

Tried a genuine mac osx installation cd but it also did the same reboot loop.

21. Clony thread starter macrumors member

Uhh, it seems that its only the mac leopard snow disc that can be booted on startup. I can go inn and install it again or do some disk testing and so, you folks know what I'm talking about.

I was able do delete my os disk and clean it out, but when i restarted my computer and the original mac osx cd was inserted to the superdrive, it was just like before but whit out the option to boot from Macintosh HD disk.

I tried also a fresh installation of mac osx snow, and hoped that booting from my original mac osx cd would work as maybe the "live" snow update may have corrupted or crashed something on the drive or system, but no, the same ***** thing whit original mac osx cd & boot loop appeared.

I tried the cd in my macpro and it booted whit it whit no problems, so its not the disc..

Its like that the leopard snow installation made my macbookair not able to boot older mac versions to setup and install.

It seems like I have to send in my MBA to a local apple repair center, but what the heck should i say, that i got a copy of snow and was hyped on seeing how it looked and wanted a little taste of what is going to be my main OS in a few months???

22. Clony thread starter macrumors member