Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I used to play an RPG where you were a blonde-haired, green shirt, blue pants-wearing dude. I remember one of the mini games was you had to gamble and say you could drink x cups of milk without puking and I would cheat by drinking - saving - drinking - saving - puking - loading save - drinking... etc. It was probably no more than 256 color and I used to love it. I have been racking my brain to remember the name but I can't and I lost it when I reformatted our old G3 (the game was old when I downloaded it then...) I'm pretty sure it was turn-based fighting too (there were spiders and dragons that zapped you and stuff like that). Any ideas? :confused:

Also, it was not isometric, but it was bird's eye view style.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Abandonia looks like a pretty good site, but I wasn't able to find it on there.

Also, lol, it isn't about drinking milk, that was just a very VERY minor part that I took advantage of to make money fast :) (I drank about 20 gallons per 10 minutes :D )

Runescape, not so much - that one is too modern, also the game was completely offline, no multiplayer.

also there was an overlying quest to find some oracle and the demo only let me go until I got to the mountains which I believe came before you actually reached the oracle.... I'm not sure it is all fuzzy because it has been forever since I played it, but I know there is something about an oracle. (as if that is unique to a magic rpg)

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
another good guess, but not quite. I do remember that as you wander around the game (when not in town) there would be a black spiral thing that would lead you into the turn-based battle sequence. And the enemies always looked the same and never moved. It isn't as old as Ultima, but not quite as clean looking as, say, geneforge.

In the early levels you fight wolves and spiders mostly.

Also, at the beginning of the game it seems like you start out in your uncle or father's house and he had been murdered.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Hmm Maybe..
Avernum.

I'd never heard of Avernum, but the graphics look like they were trying to copy UO, except they are far less good. Which is remarkable because UO didn't have particularly good graphics for its time, and Avernum came out 3 years later.

OP: it might be helpful if you could verify that this was a Mac game, and say approximately what year you might have played it in.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Nope, none of spiderweb's releases, unfortunately. It was indeed a mac game, I'm not sure if there was a windows version or not, but I definitely played it on my iMac G3 DV (500 mhz) and it wasn't taxing to the iMac's system either so it wasn't anything fantastic, however it wasn't all blocky or rather didn't have all the patterned bricks like a gameboy advance game if you know what I mean. I'm not trying to find it because it was the most awesome game ever, but more for nostalgic reasons. I know I had dial-up when I got it and wouldn't have downloaded anything over 15 mb. I had the shareware release. I think I probably played it in like 2003 or 2004 (don't mock me for memory loss) although it was released several years prior. A similar graphic style game would be Battles of Norghan

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks to all of you for your help. I found it thanks to some people over on the macintoshgarden.com forum. It was Atlas: The Gift of Aramai. Don't laugh, I enjoyed it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.