Cant Remove Failed Linux Partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluecolor2, Oct 1, 2011.

1. bluecolor2 macrumors newbie

So a while back I attempted to install Ubuntu on my MacbookPro with an install CD but I failed.
    I notice though, that somewher in this process my computer created 4 partitioned drives on my hardrive.
    Now, my main drive only has 60 GB of space because its being taken up by all the other partitions.
    But when I try removing the partitions I get a different error for almost every one:

Error for 1st partition: Mediakit reports partition (map) too small

Error for 2nd partition: Filesystem resize support required, such as HFS+ with Journaling enabled

Error for 3rd partition: Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed

Error for 4th partition: Mediakit reports partition (map) too small

I've been trying to solve this problem for weeks, some help
    would be incredibly appreciated.

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Time machine your OSX install, boot from MacOSX DVD, run disk utility to format the drive, reinstall OSX, then restore from Time Machine.

That's what I'd suggest, at least.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That Sounds Like A Plan

But it just might put the OP in more trouble...I've seen this before with those dvd's that come cover mounted on some magazines. My next door neighbour even had a copy come through the mail.

I think if it was me I'd grab a Third party partitioning app and delete the faulty partitions, then merge and regain the space...It's something you need to know a little about, but the first thing to do is to backup everything first.

ipartiton comes to mind, but it's not free, you might be able to erase the dud partitions just using disk utility...Just thoughts here really, these are toughies if your not actually there to help.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I do a lot of cross platform work. Windows, Linux, Unix, OS X.

For partitioning, the best utility is "GParted". It's open source and free along with lots of help on the net.

It's really simple to use. You can remove, re-size, do anything you want.

Here's the link, this along with a blank disc to burn it to, and you're all set.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good Find

Hope the OP gets it!

6. bluecolor2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know this is just me being lazy but is there any other way to get rid of the partitions besides gparted, any other programs, because I dont have any blank cds with me.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sure, there are other choices of commercial software that basically do the same thing for fifty dollars or more. If spending money is more satisfying & having to learn how to use them is what you're after. The problem is in most cases they're actually harder to use and a bit more convoluted.

There are certain fundamentals which cannot be ignored. If you're not willing to take responsibility, and do the work, then accept the consequences.

You've been handed a free gift, beyond that it's your computer and your problem. Apparently taking my time to assist was futile.

8. bluecolor2 thread starter macrumors newbie

JEez u dont need to get your panties in a bunch bud