Can't remove Incase hardshell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S600MBUSA, Aug 4, 2008.

1. S600MBUSA macrumors regular

I tried to remove the Incase hardshell that is on my Macbook Pro. The bottom came off, but it did damage to the vent area on the back. However, my main problem right now is that the top cover will not come off. I've tried using as much force as I think wise, and it just won't budge. The little tabs won't move beyond the seam between the plastic bezel and the anodized aluminum.

Can anyone help me? If I ever get this thing off, I'm going to go back to the Speck hardcase.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well do it slowly and it should come off; I don't see how you can break you computer taking it off.

3. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried doing it "slowly." As I've noted, the tabs will not move beyond the seam between the aluminum and the plastic screen bezel. Since they're caught in that seam, I'm hesitant to apply excessive force.

4. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Ok Don't Panic! I have a solution, because I too own a MPB with an incase.

Put the bottom case back on.

Un latch the holder latches on the top case (It will start to come off then get stuck)

Close the lid carefully.

----
    My Solution:

I got my nail clippers

and took the flat end, and pryed the two back latches off, the back will come off, and you can just pull it off after.

Im sure anything flat and long will work.

5. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't seem to work for me. There's really not much space to insert anything to pry. When I apply any force with the flat end of the clippers, the only thing that moves is the entire screen part of the computer, putting pressure on the latch.

I just want to get this thing off; if and when I do, I'll never put it back on again.

6. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

just keep prying. It will give you resistance.

I love my incase. Best thing ive purchased.

7. 514Mac macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue removing the Incase Hardshell from the lid of my MBP. After an hour of fiddling with it, hurting my fingers and hoping I wouldn't break it... I found a solution that helped a lot.

I took a dull butterknife and covered the blade of it with the microfiber cloth that came with my MBP. The cloth will make sure you don't scratch your MBP (make sure you use as dull of a butterknife as you can find and that the cloth is covering any part of the butterknife that will touch your MBP)..

Then use the covered butterknife to push back and kind of "lever off" the Incase hardshell at the tab. You'll find the right amount of pressure and angle to use.

Do this at each tab and it'll pop off without a problem.

Works great.

8. chevycamarolvr macrumors newbie

That's EXACTLY what I did.... (but I used a terry cloth kitchen towel)
    The middle of the longer side lifts up a bit easier, so I slipped the knife under there and then slid it closer to where the clips were, then gently pried.

Note: The resulting scratches on my MBP were not a result of using a butter knife, they were from the case clips.

I actually gave myself a blister from trying to remove it with my fingers.... I was afraid I was going to pull my whole screen off.

9. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

Good lord, I had no idea this thing was meant to be a near permanent addition to my computer :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll try the butter knife tomorrow since my fingers have been pinched and battered enough for one night. I think that if I continue, my frustration might get the better of me and cause me to use too much force and damage the computer or something.

:mad::mad:

10. S600MBUSA thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to attempt it to tonight since it was bugging me. I got the top case off using the butter knife and microfiber cloth. Thanks for the suggestion! It still took some effort, but there's only a tiny little spot of damage and no scratches.

Now to see if I can repair the damage the bottom case did...

11. 514Mac macrumors newbie

Glad to hear my suggestion helped and worked!

I got blisters from trying to remove it manually too. I was positive that any more pressure and the case would have snapped.

12. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

My hardshell isn't as stubborn, but it does take a couple minutes to get the shell off. The key for me is to get the two top tabs off first, and then wiggle it around and it'll come off. I do use a lot of force when fiddling with it though, the MBP is still holding strong. Incase needs to remedy this, it shouldn't be this hard or frustrating.

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had to get my incase off my macbook before sending it in for repairs. I tried lots of things and finally used a credit card and inserted it where it was the loosest, in the middle between the two clips and then slid it toward the clips.

14. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

next time I'd say get invisible shield if you're that worried about scratch protection.

Carry your laptop in a decent bag/sleeve and you won't need to worry about dents.

I have a 4+ year old Powerbook with NO DENTS, and only very minor scratches on the bottom of the machine.

When I want a backpack, I use a DaKine Terminal Backpack and when I feel like a messenger style back, my Timbuk2 regular old messenger bag with a WaterField Designs (sfbags.com) does the trick.

Neither have ever failed me. Just be responsible with your expensive toys!

15. Lmg15 macrumors newbie

incase

I also had troubles removing the top part of my incase hardshell. I finally got it off by almost closing the computer and pulling it off at the bottom near the speakers, this is probably not the safest way, but i just wanted the case off. I had sooo much dust trapt under my case I will never use incase again.
    Goodluck to who ever still cant get their case off.

16. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Easiest method for me was to use one of those grocery rewards cards and putting it in between the case and the computer and moving the card towards the tabs.

17. EricBenjamin macrumors newbie

I made this post on another thread, but thought it might be helpful:

***DO NOT USE A KNIFE***

I mean it seems obvious... but I felt like I had tried everything.

The apple store couldn't get it off, credit cards / guitar picks, my fingernails.. you name it. that piece of s**t wouldn't come off.

I watched a video on youtube where some dumb bitch snaps hers right off and ridicules those of us that were unable to remove ours. I ended up using a very blunt knife covered in microfiber to pry at the tabs.. i made a 1mm long scratch on my screen, which i deserved for being a moron and trying the knife. I'm so frustrated with incase.

Incipio made a feather light case for the Macbook and MBPs that comes off almost too easy.. and I highly recommend anyone interested in a similar case buys the incipio one.

After this ordeal I'm entirely done with cases, and I'm using a slip cover (microfiber pillow case) from RadTech.com It has been extremely reliable, comes off when I want it off, and is only on when I want it on. No added bulk, no hassle taking it off, and no more scratches on my screen.

So how did I get my incase hardshell off? with a hacksaw. not kidding. I gently sawed the pile of s**t in half, stopping before I made contact with my mbp, then used an exacto blade to skim the hairline of plastic left and BAM! my incase hardshell was no longer stuck on my MBP.

eff incase. eff this bitch on youtube (she is obviously fat too). and PLEASE don't ever put one of these on your macbook!

I wish I had taken pictures of my process before burning the piece of s**t... well technically I sent it back for a refund, with a letter explaining why it's now in 3 pieces instead of 2.

18. acjohnson55 macrumors newbie

After foolishly trying to use a screwdriver to pry off my case, which fortunately only resulted in a tiny scratch, the butter knife/microfiber trick worked like a dream for me. Just slip the butter knife in between the case and the shell and slide to the left and then to the right.

19. timewart macrumors newbie

It can be done!!

Without using a knife or any other sharp thing!

Incase support were no use - they simply suggested using a credit card (perhaps to buy a new mac after you scratch it??!)

However, what worked for me was:

1) Removing the bottom case first. It's a doddle and did not resist removal

2) Lid open just past 90 degrees and face the screen

3) Bottom left hand tab - two fingers on the lid (imagine a V sign to Incase!) and thumb nail against the tab. Push gently in with fingers, depressing the plastic cover, and pull the tab away with your thumb nail

4) Once the bottom left hand tab is released, it's relatively easy to remove the bottom right hand tab using the same technique.

5) GENTLY slide the lid upwards - it moves quite easily and does NOT scratch the laptop

6) Ta Da!

7) Stand back and consider whether you really want to put the case back on!

As it happens, I did - I like the black/aluminium mix and I do not have to worry about any scratches.

20. Hillaryfaye20 macrumors newbie

That Youtube video was very helpful and very good I don't see your problem with it. Also there is nothing wrong with being a little overweight actually you can be much healthier. I know people who have gotten really sick and lost ten to twenty pounds and they became underweight took them forever to gain the weight back.

21. CC424 macrumors regular

22. jesspanganiban macrumors newbie

I just removed mine

I have an In Case Shell for a Macbook pro 13", I've been trying to remove it ever since but I never really tried hard enough cause I was scared of getting it scratched.

But put hard cards (like credit cards or ids and stuff) into each side then don't hesitate on putting too much pressure by pulling it up using the cards... it'll come off easily without any scratch at all :D Hope it helps.

23. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

The reason you scratched your computer is because you used a facking xcato knife.

24. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i made that video!

glad it helped!