iPad Can't remove OTA badge on Settings icon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by a042349, Jul 19, 2013.

1. a042349 macrumors member

Hey All,

I've tried every "no-OTA badge" app/fix/tweak I can find on my iPad Mini to remove the badge telling me there's a new OS version available to no avail.

I've even tried the one that removes ALL badges even though all I really want gone is the settings/OTA badge.

The last one I tried from Cydia said it would prompt me to remove badges on any icon when I tried to open them. Instead it rebooted my springboard into safe mode, so I removed that tweak and all is fine - but that damn badge is still there!! :)

The iPad is running iOS version 6.1 and when I click on the "Software Update" section in Settings/General it just spins and spins and never tells me what version is available. So maybe I somehow disabled that "check" and that's why I can't remove the badge??

Can anybody help a very frustrated, slightly OCD, MacRumors fan out?

Thanks!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The evasi0n jailbreak prevents the update from loading - it is designed to prevent accidental updating.

Have you run the evasi0n update/patch from Cydia ?
    I thought it removed that badge.

3. a042349 thread starter macrumors member

I have run that, it shows as installed, and you're right it is what is disabling the actual "check for update" section in settings.

The notes for that patch don't say it actually removes the badge, just that it disables the search for any updates, and as noted my badge (and the number 1 in settings pointing to the update section) are both still there.

I'm loath to try removing/reinstalling as my JB is perfect other than this annoyance, and I don't want to mess it up.

Good try though, thanks. Anybody else?

4. a042349 thread starter macrumors member

Wow! You nailed it man thanks - badge is gone. I had never tried that tweak and it worked perfectly. I had been searching on "badge" and "ota" and tried at least three that said they cleared it.

There's so damn many tweaks/utils/apps/etc in Cydia, it's hard to find and discover them all. What's your best place to learn about new stuff in Cydia?

Thanks again!

5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Being an active memeber here, plus reading idownloadblog, and also ModMyi are the three top places. Following specific twitter accounts can be a decent source if you're a frequent twitter user. But honestly, the best place to look is in Cydia! Go to the Sections and turn off all theme related sections because they spam, clog, and ruin the changes tab. Turn all them off (don't worry you can still search for them and access them via the homepage), then check the Changes tab daily, give or take. Now that you turned off all themes, you'll see all the new packages as soon as they're released! Between that and idownloadblog blog, you'll be as up to date on new releases as possible! This is the very first thing i do after the initial setup for cydia. It's THAT helpful. You'd be shocked at how many new themes are uploaded every day. Ignoring the fact they're 99% garbage, they make seeing new releases nearly impossible.

To learn about existing packages, go digging through idownloadblog and ModMyi and check out videos on YouTube. It's much easier to stay up to date on new releases than it is to learn about all the existing stuff. That will come in time as you stay in the loop (for example, new stuff might be similar to something that was released years ago and the article will usually mention this and if not the article itself, then people posting in the comments will certainly mention it).

Between all this and being an active member here, you'll learn about the best existing packages is all the new ones! I hope this helps!

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Honestly I hang out on this forum for Mac related info, but for iPhone related info I go to ifans.com.

7. a042349 thread starter macrumors member

Wow - great tips - and from a B's fan to boot. I grew up in MA and live in NH now. Man the last two minutes of game 6 sucked huh? :(

I didn't know you could deactivate all the theme/font junk in Cydia, so that helps a lot. Also iDownloadBlog is awesome, found some good tweaks/utils on there I've missed over the past few months.

Thanks again, and Go Red Sox and Pats! :)

----------

I'll check it out, thanks again!

8. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Awesome! I'm glad you found my post helpful. I'm from MA too. My whole famy is from Somerville. I ended up relocating to houston for work but my entire family is still up in the Boston area. Yea game 6 was the toughest boston loss I've ever experienced. Epic collapse. I try really hard not to think of it haha

If you ever have a question feel free to PM me.