Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blampert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2011
I'm kinda new to the Mac scene. I received my uncle's old macbook recently. I don't know if there are model versions but its a white 13' macbook. I was reading how you can reset the password if you have the installation disc. I'm not sure if this currently has Tiger or snow leopard. I have both installation discs that I borrowed from a friend to do this. I tried the procedure to do it with the snow leopard disc (boot from it, go to utilities and reset password) But everything is grayed out and a window displays "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" Thinking that this OS is to new, i try the Tiger Disc and it doesn't boot from it, just goes to the users profile to type in their password. At this point I don't care if I have to reset to factory defaults. Suggestions? Thanks!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The problem with the Tiger installation DVD is that it's only designed for the old PowerPC Macs.

All Intel based Macs (including the MacBook) were sold with Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard pre-installed.

If it's running Tiger, then you'd need to reset it with the DVD that came with the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.