Can't Remove Unwanted Guest!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BeeS4335, Jun 9, 2008.

1. BeeS4335 macrumors member

Help please, someone. I've just noticed that in my Finder window sidebar, under "Shared", I have a character called Thomson listed. I don't know any Thomson and I bought the machine, an MBA, brand new. However, I did have an engineer instal the machine in my apartment and can only assume he's the mysterious Thomson. Anyway, whoever he/she is, I don't want him/her on my machine as Shared & "connected as guest". The point is, I cannot find a way to delete Thomson!! Can anyone help? I've tried System Preferences>Security and Accounts and there's no trace of Thomson there. Right clicking on Thomson in the sidebar of Finder only gives me the option to Open and Get Info. Most annoying, this. There MUST be a way to delete a Sharing but totally unwanted guest....

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It wouldn't happen to be the brand of your wireless router would it?

I know some show up in the Shared bit.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If it is truly a guest account, go back into System Prefs -> Accounts. Click the lock to unlock it. Click on the Guest Account and uncheck "Allow guests to log in to this computer" and uncheck "Allow guests to connect to shared folders".

4. BeeS4335 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both. No, Thomson isn't the name of my router. And Merl1n, I've done as you suggested and the wretched Thomson is STILL there in Shared. You'd think I could drag the beastly one into trash but I can't. Thomson is non-draggable! He/she is sticking like the proverbial to the blanket. C'mon.. there MUST be a way of solving this.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, it sounds like one of your neighbors has a wireless network that your mac is picking up. His network is not secure and he may have file sharing turned on. If this is the case, then that's why you are seeing the connection under shared.

If you have a secured network that you have nothing to worry about as none one can access it. If you have not secured it, I suggest you do so post haste.
    Change the name of your router and password to access it. Block remote connections to your router (remote administration). For your wireless access, set up WPA password authentication on your router.

6. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

you can do a MAC address filter, if he is entering via the router, go to the router set up a MAC address filter.

7. dasmb macrumors regular

Or just leave it. It doesn't hurt anything, that machine can't access your machines (beyond responding to Rendezvous "who's out there" requests) without a login and you probably can't access his either. It's just a placeholder, indicating that a machine could be accessed (if you had the inkling and the credentials to do so).

That machine may not even be around anymore anyway. I'm not sure if 10.5 works like this, but older versions of OSX would cache machines you'd talked to in the past via certain network protocols. My old Powerbook (whereever it is) is probably still looking for machines on my current network...it used to tell me I could access work machines from home, and home machines from work.

8. joeyjoejoejunio macrumors newbie

It's you connected to him!

Apple was kind of stupid when writing the code to show that under your shared directory.

The Thomson guy has something that he is sharing, and basically it is saying that you are connected to him. Nothing to worry about here, he is absolutely in no way connected to you.

9. Patriiick macrumors member

Nice try Mr. Thompson !!! How dare you try to pull that kind of trick and come to this forum...

;)

j/k he s right :)

10. benbneben macrumors newbie

Wtf???

Hmmm. I think there must be something strange going on here. I too have exactly the same problem. Thompson is also on my shared list and has been since I got my G5 imac well over a year ago. have you figured it out yet?? I also suffer from massive slowdown on my broadband connection and worry that this evil Thompson fella is thieving my connection.

Does it tell you Thompson is a PC server?

11. benbneben macrumors newbie

Got It!!!!!

Thomson is the manufacturer of the BT Broadband routers.

That doesnt explain my loss of speed, but it at least I figured it out. Hope its the same issue for you. :)

12. LongJnSilver macrumors newbie

I also have a mysterious "Thompson"! - London

and... have a BT Broadband router - but - it does not have the name "Thompson" on it anywhere... just "Made in China".

GULP! Maybe there is a worldwide Red conspiracy and the Chinese have all our BT home hubs linked together as a massive super computer so they can DOMINATE THE WORLD!?!?!?!

Really... this "Thompson" thing on more than one computer is probably benign, but surely, there must be some LOGICAL explanation for it.

- LongJnSilver - London

13. jamin1210 macrumors newbie

Same problem in Brighton

Me too. I'm stuck with this 'Thomson' under my shared section in the finder window. I can't do anything to remove it. Really frustrating!

Jamin