Can't repair disk permissions

Habberkuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Under your bed...
Ok, so I have an iMac 17" from 2006 with Mac os X 10.6.8 installed on it. The problem is that I can't repair the disk permissions. When I click the repair disk permissions button it starts to "repair" (a lot of things), but when I run it again, all the permissions that I just repaired shows up again :confused: ! I have verified the disk, and even reinstalled 10.6.8, but it didn't help me. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?
Thank you in advance...

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Does anybody know how to fix this problem?
This is not a problem.
Repair Permissions does not need to be run on a regular basis. As a trouble-shooting technique, it is limited in its capabilities, to say the least.

File attributes do not rust, wear out, or rot away. Most system files are read-only, and so their attributes are unlikely to change unless you yourself deliberately change them, or give authorisation for some unlikely process to do so.

RP only affects SOME Apple system files. It does NOTHING for third-party apps or user data.

As pointed out, it reports confusing and possibly erroneous messages.

You most certainly do not need to reinstall your OS because of the messages in an RP log.

Habberkuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Under your bed...
This is not a problem.
Repair Permissions does not need to be run on a regular basis. As a trouble-shooting technique, it is limited in its capabilities, to say the least.

File attributes do not rust, wear out, or rot away. Most system files are read-only, and so their attributes are unlikely to change unless you yourself deliberately change them, or give authorisation for some unlikely process to do so.

RP only affects SOME Apple system files. It does NOTHING for third-party apps or user data.

As pointed out, it reports confusing and possibly erroneous messages.

You most certainly do not need to reinstall your OS because of the messages in an RP log.
Thank you. Then it seems like I don't have to worry so much about it. But I still want to fix it. I just want to make sure that my mac is error free... But thank you.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"When I click the repair disk permissions button it starts to "repair" (a lot of things), but when I run it again, all the permissions that I just repaired shows up again"

That's pretty much the norm.

I wouldn't worry about it very much…

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Thank you. Then it seems like I don't have to worry so much about it. But I still want to fix it. I just want to make sure that my mac is error free... But thank you.
You don't have to worry about it AT ALL.
The error messages in Disk Utility need to be fixed by APPLE, not you.

Your Mac is error free. Get on with your work. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications. You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files? Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways. Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.