Can't repair disk permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Habberkuk, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Habberkuk macrumors member

Ok, so I have an iMac 17" from 2006 with Mac os X 10.6.8 installed on it. The problem is that I can't repair the disk permissions. When I click the repair disk permissions button it starts to "repair" (a lot of things), but when I run it again, all the permissions that I just repaired shows up again :confused: ! I have verified the disk, and even reinstalled 10.6.8, but it didn't help me. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?
    Thank you in advance...

2. Habberkuk thread starter macrumors member

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

This is not a problem.
    Repair Permissions does not need to be run on a regular basis. As a trouble-shooting technique, it is limited in its capabilities, to say the least.

File attributes do not rust, wear out, or rot away. Most system files are read-only, and so their attributes are unlikely to change unless you yourself deliberately change them, or give authorisation for some unlikely process to do so.

RP only affects SOME Apple system files. It does NOTHING for third-party apps or user data.

As pointed out, it reports confusing and possibly erroneous messages.

You most certainly do not need to reinstall your OS because of the messages in an RP log.

4. Habberkuk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. Then it seems like I don't have to worry so much about it. But I still want to fix it. I just want to make sure that my mac is error free... But thank you.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"When I click the repair disk permissions button it starts to "repair" (a lot of things), but when I run it again, all the permissions that I just repaired shows up again"

That's pretty much the norm.

I wouldn't worry about it very much…

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You don't have to worry about it AT ALL.
    The error messages in Disk Utility need to be fixed by APPLE, not you.

Your Mac is error free. Get on with your work. :p

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.
    If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.