Cant Repair Disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 103734, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 103734 Guest

Well I tried setting up bootcamp and then I got a error when trying to partition it saying that I need to repair the drive with disk utility, so I go to disk utility and the repair button isnt even highlighted so I checked it and it still didnt let me.

Well heres a screenshot of the Disk Utility

[​IMG]

whats wrong with it?

and what can I do?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Boot from your Mac OS X install disk (by turning off, and holding C on startup with the disk in) and open disk utility, and then repair the disk :)

3. 103734 thread starter Guest

that wont delete anything on my HD right?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It won't. The disk has multiple features, and one is reinstall of OSX, which you don't want. You want Utilities->Disk Utility and your HD will be safe.

5. murdoc158 macrumors regular

Any updates?

I've got the same problem as well, though I already have Bootcamp installed. My iMac has been freezing up lately so I repaired the disk permissions and also verified the disk. The disk showed the same error as you saying the "Volume needs repair." I booted from the install cd and ran Disk Utility to repair the disk. Disk Utility was unable to repair my OSX partition. If I do a fresh install will this "fix" my problem? Also, if I do a reinstall of OSX will I loose all my settings? I know in Windows you can do a fresh install without having any personal files and setting being changed. Is this true with OSX as well?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Reinstalling OS X will not fix an underlying filesystem problem (OS X sits on top of the filesystem). You'll need to get a dedicated repair tool such as DiskWarrior, or initialise the volume (which will erase everything).

I don't have too much experience in this area, so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me :)

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Disk Utility is there to fix filesystem problems. You just need to boot from the OS X install disc and then run it from there.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Your advice is most helpful.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Disk Util is a GUIfied frontend of fsck. Both utils are pretty bare bones. So.. when they fail, it's onto better utils.

10. murdoc158 macrumors regular

So a secondary program like Disk Warrior is the way to go then? Are there any other programs I could look into?

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's also TechTool Pro, but it has many more tools, and isn't quite as good at Disk Warrior's job as Disk Warrior is.

12. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Effectiveness of First Aid?

I'm pretty sure the HD in my MacBook pooped (clicking, won't mount) and I already replaced the HD and reinstalled OS X. This is all before I thought to boot from the DVD and run First Aid. Before I go through the trouble of removing the new HD and re-installing the old HD, can I expect the utility to really fix the problem.

Again the symptoms are click, click, clicking and folder with question mark on the old display.

Gracias!