Can't repair permissions 10.5.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agentphish, Dec 8, 2007.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Hi, my powerbook 1.5ghz is running 10.5.1, clean install from about a month ago. Stuffit locked up and I had assumed that i could just force quit, but i think it was running some background process... So i tried to launch activity monitor...

Which popped up a box saying "activity monitor can not start because of incorrect file permissions" which I thought was strange.

So I tried to go repair them with disk utility during which the status bar would get like 1/5 of the way through and just sit there. I let it sit for 45 minutes and didn't make any progress so I stopped it.

I tried rebooting the machine and booted to the leopard DVD to use the disk utility there but it happened too, it got nowhere when I tried to repair.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have no suggestions on what you should do, but I do know that under leopard repairing permission takes quite some time. Try verifying and then repairing....I have a feeling that disk utility is not as stable as it was under leopard. However, it is cool that you can partition non-destructively.

My only advice would be to keep trying and I suggest you try doing it through the Leopard DVD again.

3. stoneage macrumors regular

stoneage

It takes much longer with 10.5, and this report is worrying me. Anyone know what the problem may be?

Attached Files:

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>stoneage

Normal, don't worry about it. Ignore it.

>agentphish

Have you tried safe boot?

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

Nope, how do I safe boot?
    I was also thinking i might try drive genius...Thanks.

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

mine is doing the same thing. Just noticed it tonight and came to look for an answer. Thanks for any and all help that is given.

I can not verify or repair permissions on my imac. Safari was running slow so I thought i would try that. Glad I did and noticed a problem. I shutdown and restarted and safari is running fine now, but still can not verify or repair permissions.

7. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Got it thanks all. At first I thought I had a problem. But thanks to the mac rumor gang I am good to go. It took about 20 minutes to verify and repair permissions. Good to go now! :D