Can't repair permissions after leopard install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mojohanna, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Well, the title says it all. I can't verify or repair. The status bar just sits there and spins away.

I am seriously considering a clean install and restoring everything but the system from my TM backup.

I also get random spin ups of my fans. I even have had to to a hard restart. I come into the room with the computer and it sounds like a jet is flying around the room and the computer will not wake. Thats when I have to do a hard restart.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The new version of Repair Permissions ....

1. Gives no feedback until done.

2. Takes a long time.

3. Has a problem with Apple Remote Desktop, and ACLs in some of the folders.

3. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

I thought I was having the same issue that you are, but it eventually did it.

4. TabulaRasa macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. It took a long time to verify /repair disk permission but eventually it did it. As a previous poster mentioned, there are some problems with Apple Remote Desktop permissions.

5. mojohanna thread starter macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Thanks much for the information. I guess i just let it run. Hopefully that adresses some of the minor issues.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Failed permissions repair sent my (A&I'd) drive into a tailspin. The disk became unbootable. Even trying to then correct the permissions from the DVD failed with a "an underlying task has failed" messages. Yeah, great.

7. 50548 Guest

So far it's one of the only issues with Leopard, I think...for me repair permissions doesn't really work, too...

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There's plenty of others.. like unmounting DMGs.

Seems to me the root of most of the issues I had were based in the weird interatcions between ACLs and POSIX. Seems the implementation is poor, and I can't believe it made it past QA. Guess it'll be fixed in 10.5.1. Whenever that comes out.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

About how how long? I couldn't even get to the progress bar (seemed to stick on the blue candy stripe).

10. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I did a clean install and it still "hangs" on repair permissions.

11. billmister macrumors 6502

It's not your computer guys, i was on my brothers computer today and it did the same thing, it hanged while i was trying to do disk permission... I thought his computer was running a bit slow, then after repairing permission, i put in the os disk and tried repairing from there... It said there is nothing to be repaired.

But it did find a warning on the remote desktop thing.. ANyway when i got home i tried myself and it lags as well.. Thankfully i searched it here on the forum and everyone else is having this problem.. Ok so i'm not alone.

Anyway guys, i get this two and so does my brother's mac.

12. toiletooth macrumors newbie

toiletooth

yepperdoodles.

i've had troubles repairing permissions with 10.5 too.
    otherwise, my drive and install seem healthy.
    not a whole lot of info out there on this one.
    but what i have found is that cocktail seems to do good.
    that is, until your trial runs out.
    :(

13. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I had the same problem with repair permissions. Thought it was me or Leoard. Darn thing would run and run. Kept saying that it had a minute left but never made it. Anyway, I decided to run it before I went to bed. Got up the next morning and it had completed. Had a lot of "stuff" that it said it couldn't/wouldn't repair but another member pointed out on the Apple site that this was a problem but not to worry bout it. Try letting it run over nite and see if it works. Cheers

14. rolly macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Verify/Repair Permissions Taking Forever

Thanks all for the useful information. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and my iMac was bogging down significantly (~15 secs to respond between mouse clicks). Mac tech support took me to the software update (10.6.1 -> 10.6.2) and then had me do the Disk Utility -> Verify Disk (no issues there: ~ 5 mins) then the Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions. After about 30 mins on the phone where Repair Disk Permissions was still running, the rep. told me it was taking longer than he expected and gave me my case # and told me to reboot after it completed and all would be fine. Granted, I've had the iMac for ~2 years now and have never done a repair disk permissions, so maybe that is why it is taking so long? It's been running 1-2 hours now (showing 1% remaining the whole time). I will leave overnight and see what happens...

15. MacBohemia macrumors newbie

There's more to this problem, though.

There's more to this problem, though. Previously, when I was using 10.4, I never had to think about doing anything to the permissions, but now Wiretap no longer works, and what I've been told is that it's a permissions issue. Now, every time I try to repair the permissions in the disk utility, nothing happens. I verify, and get this...

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/iPodUpdater.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

....and then I run the repair feature, it addresses all the same errors, and then I run verify again. I then get this....

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/iPodUpdater.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .

Exactly the same problem. It isn't disk utility failing to update itself, either, as Wiretap still doesn't work. In addition, all of the problems appear to be with iTunes and Front Row. I've never had problems with iTunes before, and I've never used Front Row (I did test it today to see if it needed an upgrade, but it didn't.) As for the JavaPluginCocoa.bundle, I have no idea what the significance of that is. Does anybody know what's causing this problem?

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

in Terminal:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

Enter your admin password when prompted. What happens?

17. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Just forget everything DURP says concerning items with a "CodeResources" pathname. It doesn't know what it's talking about.

If those are the only "permission errors" it reports, then your problem lies elsewhere.