Can't resize my Leopard partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcafaro10, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jcafaro10 macrumors member

I'm in Disk Utility and I can see that the Leopard partition takes up about half of the total disk space. There is nothing else on the disk, the partition just isn't that big. I wanted to expand the partition to fill up the whole disk but I get an error that the partition map is too small or something. How do I fix this without reinstalling Leopard? Do I need to repair my partition map?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to need to reinstall OS X or restore from Time Machine. Picking a smaller partition works as well. There just isn't a large enough contiguous block of space available to split off.

3. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying to me. If I have a disk and half of it has my OS X partition and the other half has nothing, why can't I just make it bigger?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Are you trying to merge or split the partition(s)?

5. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

There is only one partition. The rest of the disk space is empty/unallocated/not part of a partition. I just want to extend/expand/make larger an existing partition

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Was there anything in the unallocated space before? Like you made a partition and then deleted it? An erase/reformat and restore from a time machine backup might be your only solution if you can't get the partition to expand to the rest of the disk.

And you should also have a time machine backup anyways before messing with the partition map or doing anything to your disk. There is always a chance of data loss because of a disk error.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^^
    Agreed
    At this point I would suggest you back up your data, erase your disk and start fresh

If you don't have a backup strategy, this is a good reason to start one ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. jcafaro10 thread starter macrumors member

Ok ok, time to go into a little more detail. I'm using leopard through vmware and I was hoping it wasn't a vmware issue because I doubt anyone will be able to help. I made my original disk only 16GB in size. Then expanded it to 32GB but the leopard partition was still 16GB in size so I have no idea what the extra 16GB looks like. I also have no time machine backups or anything so I will actually have to try and re-set up the VM which was a huge pain. I think I'm going to just end up making a clone of it and just put different stuff on the clone.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, that information would have been helpful ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]