Can't restore a windows disk image to appropriately-sized partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ravenous, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ravenous macrumors newbie

Here's what I'm trying to do: I have a macbook (Generation 2,1) with OS X 6.3 with a new 500gb hard drive. Before upgrading my hard drive, I saved the my bootable windows (NTFS) partition on an external drive (as a partition) and as a disk image, which is 16.3gb. Now I've made a blank partition 20gb in size (just to make sure) and tried to restore either from the external drive or from the disk image (the result is the same). I get the error message that there is not enough space on the destination. Then when I check back, the partition I was trying to restore to has now shrunk to 16.3gb! Is there a way I can get the restore function to work properly?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you use WinClone? If not I doubt it will work unless you are using FAT, or NTFS writer.

3. Ravenous thread starter macrumors newbie

no, I used Disk Utility...so I can't restore it somehow? It seems kind of pointless for disk utility to be able to create a disk image from an NTFS partition if it can't be restored...

4. MacsInSchools macrumors newbie

This appears to be a Snow Leopard bug.

There appears to be a bug in the 10.6 (snow leopard) version of disk utility which causes it to miscalculate the size of the target partition when restoring a disk image. There were changes to the way sizes calculate in the new version, like the switch to decimal based drive size calculations instead of the correct base 2 values. It would be hilarious if this turns out to be the result of them using different size calculations on the source and destination images. All to placate drive manufacturers who have been pushing a fake definition of the drive size to make a smaller drive look like a bigger one.

In any event the earlier 10.5 series disk utility may work, as will Winclone (which is pretty slow but can also RE-SIZE the NTFS volumes, which can be VERY handy)

Hopefully this will see a patch from apple soon. I just had to image an entire school worth of machines and this made dealing with the Boot Camp partitions a real headache.