Can't restore after using limera1n

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RobT, Oct 10, 2010.

1. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

I successfully did the jailbreak on iPhone 4 and then tried to do a restore. iTunes wouldn't restore saying the server couldn't be contacted and to try later. Now I'm stuck in DFU mode. I can't restore thru iTunes and I can't boot the phone (stuck on the cable connecting to the old iTunes logo screen).

Any idea on how I can bail myself out?

Here is iTunes error message:

Attached Files:

2. Cap41 macrumors 6502

3. RobT thread starter macrumors 6502a

RobT

Thanks for the info.

I was able to restore using a Windows laptop. I installed iTunes 10, restored the iPhone 4, took it back to my Mac and restored that backup file and apps. Working ok now.

4. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

same thing is happening to me, I think its because I edited my host files a while back when restoring 4.0.1.... Have you ever edited yours?

5. RobT thread starter macrumors 6502a

RobT

Yes, editing the "host" file fixed it for me.

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I edited mine as well. Apparently tiny umbrella does something to ur host file so that on a restore it points iTunes to Cydia and not apple.

7. iamb4 macrumors newbie

help with limera1n

Hello,

I have an iPhone 4, and was running 4.0.1 jailbroken from jailbreakme.com. I decided to try limera1n so I would be able to upgrade to 4.1, so I backed up my phone, backed up SHSH using Umbrella, then ran limera1n...and it worked, except I realized I'd forgotten to update to 4.1 before trying limera1n. So I went to iTunes and told it to update to 4.1. It put my phone into Recovery Mode, and when the progress bar gets to 2/3, it just freezes. I'm not sure what to do. I tried putting it to DFU, and that's no help. Same problem. I would love to be able to run 4.1 jailbroken, but would be content if I could simply get it back to the way it was before it was bricked. :-(

Please advise!

Thanks.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

download this and run the exit program...

9. iamb4 macrumors newbie

I ran it, but my phone instantly goes back to recovery mode...

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

after you're 2/3rds in...you run the exit program, and it should finish restoring.
    that's what just happened for me. took a little while...

11. iamb4 macrumors newbie

I'm assuming you're saying to use the exit program while it's Restoring.. I just did, but it's still hanging at 2/3 with no movement or change..

Update: I just tried restoring from a friend's iMac on a whim... and it worked! I wonder if that means I need to reinstall iTunes or something..

12. Cap41 macrumors 6502

did you read the 2nd post. follow the instruction in this thread and the iclairifed link. You will fix the problem.

13. apmorency macrumors regular

Happened to me too. It had nothing to do with the hosts file though. After the restore it was stuck at the emergency call screen and itunes wouldn't detect it. I got it into 'connect to itunes' mode and used tiny umbrella to get it out of that. The restore went off fine after that.

14. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Exactly, you used TU. tiny umbrella writes to your host file. It had everything to do with your host file. You had to use TU to kick out. Because your host file is pointing itunes to cydia for the required info. TU makes that change. You will always have the issue when restoring. By editting the host file you are letting Itunes point back to apple. Thats why people are being able to restore. People that don't edit, can use TU to kick out of restore errors.

15. zeronz macrumors newbie

Gosh I am in the same trouble. I forgot to upgrade to 4.1 and used limera1n.

I ran it then it says that I can't make calls and is stuck at the emergency call screen.

After that I restore and update to 4.1. 1 week after that, suddenly I can't make calls and need to restore. So now I am stuck in recovery mode.

I have tried Recboot but no help. Ran limera1n again so it went back to emergency screen. Still can't restore.

Checked host file and it's fine. And error for restore is 1002. Anyone has a clue?

16. mattisfrommars macrumors newbie