Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Hi guys,

So ya I found out the hard way that you cannot change the finder icon in mavericks. Any ideas on how I can restore the icon back to the way it was before? I did make a backup of the original PNG but it doesnt seem to restore.

BXQaIKc.png

Shawn

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Not sure if this will work on Mavericks, but this is what I would do:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices. Find 'Finder.app' and click on it. Press Command-I to open the inspector. Then click on the icon in the top right and hit the backspace key.

To then restart the Dock and Finder, open Terminal and type 'killall Dock' and hit enter. Not sure if the next step is needed, but then type 'killall Finder'.

Let me know how it goes.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Most changed Icons revert to default by the usual get info, select the icon > Delete.

there is no get info for finder

----------

Not sure if this will work on Mavericks, but this is what I would do:

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices. Find 'Finder.app' and click on it. Press Command-I to open the inspector. Then click on the icon in the top right and hit the backspace key.

To then restart the Dock and Finder, open Terminal and type 'killall Dock' and hit enter. Not sure if the next step is needed, but then type 'killall Finder'.

Let me know how it goes.

it wouldnt let me use the delete button on it it just made that cannot use sound

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
there is no get info for finder

----------

it wouldnt let me use the delete button on it it just made that cannot use sound

Your on a virtual machine or external drive I assume. Download dp4 or dp1 and manually update. Its a pain, I did this twice because I was doing similar stupid stuff.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Your on a virtual machine or external drive I assume. Download dp4 or dp1 and manually update. Its a pain, I did this twice because I was doing similar stupid stuff.

No I am not I own a MacBook Air 2013 512 gb ssd 8gb ram no external drives required

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Try browsing to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

Right click - show package contents -

/Contents/Resources/

Copy any .icns file you want to use. Name it Finder.icns

It'll ask for your Admin password, type it and press enter.

If you want the default finder icon, I'm sure you can find the Finder.icns file somewhere online. Not sure if posting it would break the DMCA rules.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
No I am not I own a MacBook Air 2013 512 gb ssd 8gb ram no external drives required

Well, you should be, I would advise. Don't run betas on your main os unless you know what your doing as in don't fiddle around the system library.

Like I said, I did it. And that wasn't even running internally. And it was not a very good idea. Your main hope now is that dp7 will fix it or you will have to wipe your drive and reinstall of a USB stick (I think). Anyway, best of luck. Your gonna need it.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013

/Contents/Resources/

If you want the default finder icon, I'm sure you can find the Finder.icns file somewhere online. Not sure if posting it would break the DMCA rules.

Read above⬆️ I already still have the original icons

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Read above⬆️ I already still have the original icons

If it's just the dock not showing your finder icon, then you have to drop the original .png files into the Dock.app under the same location as the finder, as another person mentioned in the changing icons thread above.

If none of these suggestions work, then it must be due to the code signing in Mavericks.

Though I have successfully changed app store, and iTunes icons this way.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Its definitely possible to change all Mavericks icons and revert back to originals

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 18.28.23.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 18.28.23.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 394
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 18.43.44.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 18.43.44.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 380

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew

/Contents/Resources/

You can do it this way or using Candybar

Here's the original https://www.dropbox.com/s/w82t7yol9yp5nqu/16.png

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks guys I fixed it

somehow thepng got renamed to finder128.png lmao. I will trying adding a custom icon now thanks for all your guys help I appreciate it!

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
Its definitely possible to change all Mavericks icons and revert back to originals

how did you change the dock style and also add invisible spacers inbetween???

----------

Im trying to use a custom finder icon but its not working I have made sure the same pic is Finder.icns in the dock section and finder.png in the finder.app section

pieterv

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Belgium (Antwerp)
how did you change the dock style and also add invisible spacers inbetween???

----------

Im trying to use a custom finder icon but its not working I have made sure the same pic is Finder.icns in the dock section and finder.png in the finder.app section

1. He didn't
2. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071115133729552
3. Just check my post above and it should work.
You shouldn't have to worry about the icns file in Finder.app in my experience:
f6ISTjp.jpg

Check filename (case sensitive), check the resolutions of both png files, maybe repair disk permissions (I know that's mentioned every time anyone has any problem at all, but you never know…)

Last edited:

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I got it working now just customizing every single icon, let me know if someone figured out how to change the dock

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.