Can't restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vanfanel1, Jun 17, 2010.

1. vanfanel1 macrumors member

environment:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Itunes 9.2
    Iphone 3G (iOS 4.0)

Everytime I try and restore from a backup I get this error:

"iTunes could not restore the iPhone "my iPhone" because the backup session failed."

Does anyone know what the problem is or how I can get around this? I've tried it with 4 separate backup points (one was today) Backing up seems to run fine without a problem but I can't restore at all.

-I tried reinstalling Apple Mobile Device Support and iTunes but to no avail.
    -I tried creating a fresh backup (which worked) then a restore from that (failed)
    -tried factory restore first then from backup
    -firewall is disabled

Any suggestions?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. vanfanel1 thread starter macrumors member

That didn't work either :-/ same problem

4. vanfanel1 thread starter macrumors member

Now I've tried moving all the backups into a temp place so the Backup folder is clean. I then right click my iPhone in iTunes and select Backup. I then try and restore from the backup. This time I get this error:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone because a session could not be started with the iPhone."

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t believe you’ve reinstalled iTunes, so try that.

6. vanfanel1 thread starter macrumors member

I did actually try it (uninstalled itunes and apple mobile device support) before but I tried it again just to make sure. Same error:

"...session could not be started with the iPhone."

Maybe it's some app that's not iOS 4 compliant that's causing the problem? I dunno but it's very frustrating. Thanks again for trying to help.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, sorry, I read Apple Mobile and missed the iTunes.

I’d suggest trying a different computer just to rule out the iPhone as being the problem.

8. jellywhitebread macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing this problem as well. My 3GS is now a $500 paperweight. I thought it would be a great idea to upgrade to iOS4. It gave me the same error and now has essentially locked me out of my phone. I've tried all the solutions proposed in this thread and none of them work.

The Genius Bar at my local Apple Store told me that there's nothing that can be done until Apple actually releases iOS4. Is it still supposed to be released on Monday?