can't restore from time machine...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sou1 so1di3r, Feb 19, 2014.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I wiped the boot disk using disk utility in the recovery partition of my users MBA. Selected restore from Time Machine... everything works fine and when it is finished it reboots... and then goes right back to the recovery partition.

I can even select the startup disk but then it still doesn't boot. Either freezes at a gray screen or goes back to recovery. wtf. I've restored 3 or 4 times now. Nothing. It won't even let me just install ML fresh because it says my apple ID didn't purchase it so I have to try to track down the user.

Just extremely annoying. idk why this is happening. Same exact thing happened on my personal MBA last week and I feel like I just restored every single one of my 20+ TM backups until one eventually worked. With this user I only have the 1 backup I created on a temp storage drive.

Tried resetting PRAM, booting to safe mode (doesn't work).

So frustrating.

:(:(

2. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Literally going to drop kick this piece of **** macbook out the window.

I've restored it over 10 times now...

Lion... Mountain Lion... Mavericks... SAME ****ING ISSUE.

**** everything.

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Not trying to be a smarta$$ but if this happened last week on another MBA how ddi you fix it then?

Any chance a call to Apple? Or chat with them on there site.

4. northerngit macrumors member

Once the Time Machine restore has completed, and you're sent back to the Recovery Partition try Repairing the Disk. Next, install OS X again, over the top; retaining your data. NOT a clean install on a newly created partition. If this doesn't work...

Install the OS, install any updates and then run Migration Assistant to restore your Time Machine backup.

Good luck!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Next time try wiping the drive via "Erase" in Disk Utility. Then Install OS X then when the setup screen begins you will be given the option to restore from Time Machine.

6. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

tried all of these, none worked.

Eventually just installed a fresh OS and migrated the user's data manually folder by folder.

fun........