Can't Restore iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by monkeydodo3, Apr 11, 2012.

1. monkeydodo3, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

monkeydodo3 macrumors member

Hey guys so I got an iPhone 4 16GB Black off of Craigslist, so when I tried to hacktivate it, the Wifi, Bluetooth, and IMEI were grayed out. So I tried to restore it, but it failed and resulted in error (-1), which I've searched up and apparently means my baseband chip is fried. After it failed to restore, it got stuck in recovery loop, but I kicked it out of that mode with redsn0w. My question now is what can I do? Will Apple replace my iPhone 4 or am I pretty much screwed and am better off trying to resell it on CL? The iPhone's out of warranty btw.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can try apple first.
    Worst thing that can happen is they will say no.

3. monkeydodo3 thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention that after it got kicked out of recovery by redsn0w, it reboot with the apple logo and the bar that usually shows up during a restore. After a few minutes, it went back to the set up new iPhone screen. Should I try to hacktivate it again to see if my iPhone's baseband chip is indeed fried or just take it into the Apple store?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Before you bring it in make sure you restore it to stock firmware. If its stuck on the apple logo just leave it like that.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does it really matter? It's not in warranty. So, he can get an out of warranty replacement for $199.

6. monkeydodo3 thread starter macrumors member

I've read that some people got free replacements for their iPhones when their baseband chips were fried. Is this only possible when our phones are still in warranty or what?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He's going to try to get a replacement for free.
    In that case best bet would be to bring it stock.
    But it's not guaranteed he will get lucky:)