Cant restore iphone - "An unknown error occurred (1603)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BadboyHouse, Feb 2, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

My iPhone suddenly reset into restore mode tonight. I posted in the other forum.

I thought best to post in here about the current problem - when I try to restore it in iTunes, it says

"Preparing..." for some time, then comes back with The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1603).

Is there anything I can do? The phone is two weeks old.

2. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I have the same problem with my desktop PC iTunes, which is where I have all my apps and music. I have to restore using my laptop's iTunes (that is not synced to my iPhone or iPad) and then stop the process when it asks if I want to sync to that iTunes.

At that point, unplug your iPhone from the alternate iTunes and plug it into your regular iTunes computer, do a regular sync there.

I have no idea why it works this way - there's something about my main PC that iTunes doesn't like. But, the iTunes on my laptop works fine. I have to do it this way for every restore or OS update. I'm not the only one this happens to - it's a common issue and workaround.