Can't restore iTunes to ne computer

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I restored my Mac, before that I saved my /music/ directory from it. My iTunes library was already on an external. Now I can't seem to get it restored to the new install. I can't copy the entire library to the internal hdd, it won't fit. I read Apples directions and it won't work. Can someone tell me the best way? I hate to readd all my stuff again. Is there a certain file I need to point iTunes to to recognize it's my library? There was nothing stored in the music/iTunes directory on my Mac, I backed it up anyway, but I thought everything I needed was on the external.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Where are these files for you?
iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Music Library.xml

Btw, the Preference file is in a folder on the computer even if your library files are on the external. You need to transfer the preference or recreate it.

I restored my Mac, before that I saved my /music/ directory from it. My iTunes library was already on an external. Now I can't seem to get it restored to the new install. I can't copy the entire library to the internal hdd, it won't fit. I read Apples directions and it won't work. Can someone tell me the best way? I hate to readd all my stuff again. Is there a certain file I need to point iTunes to to recognize it's my library? There was nothing stored in the music/iTunes directory on my Mac, I backed it up anyway, but I thought everything I needed was on the external.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Music Library.xml

Btw, the Preference file is in a folder on the computer even if your library files are on the external. You need to transfer the preference or recreate it.
Thanks for the help. I have those files on my external hdd in the iTunes directory. But how dominget my new install of iTunes to recognize them and my library?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
iTunes Library.itl
iTunes Music Library.xml

Can anyone tell me exactly where I need these files, or how to point iTunes towards them so I don't have to redo my iTunes library?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Can anyone tell me exactly where I need these files, or how to point iTunes towards them so I don't have to redo my iTunes library?
You need those files wherever they were on your previous computer. On my machines, they are always in Music/iTunes, regardless of where I put my iTunes content. You also need to restore the file "com.apple.iTunes.plist" in your Library/Preferences.

It is possible to move iTunes from machine to machine with an external library, but everything has to be consistent.

A.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
You need those files wherever they were on your previous computer. On my machines, they are always in Music/iTunes, regardless of where I put my iTunes content. You also need to restore the file "com.apple.iTunes.plist" in your Library/Preferences.

It is possible to move iTunes from machine to machine with an external library, but everything has to be consistent.

A.
They were on an external before, and they still are now. But I can't figure out how to point iTunes to the files so it recognizes the library.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the help. I have those files on my external hdd in the iTunes directory. But how dominget my new install of iTunes to recognize them and my library?
They were on an external before, and they still are now. But I can't figure out how to point iTunes to the files so it recognizes the library.
Quit iTunes then hold the option key while you launch iTunes again. You will get this popup. Click "Choose Library" then point it to your iTunes library on the external drive.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
But I can't figure out how to point iTunes to the files so it recognizes the library.
Hold down the Alt key and launch iTunes : this will allow you to navigate to the iTunes folder or the iTunes Library.itl that are on your external drive.

EDIT : ninja'd !! :D