Can't restore iTunes to ne computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jjk454ss, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I restored my Mac, before that I saved my /music/ directory from it. My iTunes library was already on an external. Now I can't seem to get it restored to the new install. I can't copy the entire library to the internal hdd, it won't fit. I read Apples directions and it won't work. Can someone tell me the best way? I hate to readd all my stuff again. Is there a certain file I need to point iTunes to to recognize it's my library? There was nothing stored in the music/iTunes directory on my Mac, I backed it up anyway, but I thought everything I needed was on the external.

2. Consultant, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Where are these files for you?
    iTunes Library.itl
    iTunes Library Extras.itdb
    iTunes Music Library.xml

Btw, the Preference file is in a folder on the computer even if your library files are on the external. You need to transfer the preference or recreate it.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the help. I have those files on my external hdd in the iTunes directory. But how dominget my new install of iTunes to recognize them and my library?

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Can anyone tell me exactly where I need these files, or how to point iTunes towards them so I don't have to redo my iTunes library?

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You need those files wherever they were on your previous computer. On my machines, they are always in Music/iTunes, regardless of where I put my iTunes content. You also need to restore the file "com.apple.iTunes.plist" in your Library/Preferences.

It is possible to move iTunes from machine to machine with an external library, but everything has to be consistent.

A.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

They were on an external before, and they still are now. But I can't figure out how to point iTunes to the files so it recognizes the library.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Quit iTunes then hold the option key while you launch iTunes again. You will get this popup. Click "Choose Library" then point it to your iTunes library on the external drive.

[​IMG]

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hold down the Alt key and launch iTunes : this will allow you to navigate to the iTunes folder or the iTunes Library.itl that are on your external drive.

[​IMG]

EDIT : ninja'd !! :D

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

:p:p

Greats minds and all... :D

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It works, thank you.