Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mars526

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Seems Apple has changed the restore policy for jailbroken iPhones? Tried to restore my jailbroken iPhone back to 4.0.1 to get an upgrade. iTunes 10 will verify the restore with Apple and returned the message 'This device is not eligible for the requested build'. Any folks got the same situation here? How do I upgrade to iOS 4.1 then?

mars526

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Have you even searched how to downgrade iPhones?

I have done this long time ago on my original iPhone. Seems it's not the same case now. I never realized apple started the verification process before iPhone restore.

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
So I can restore my jailbroken 4.0.1 iPhone to 4.1 under DFU mode without the risk of being bricked?

It is pretty much impossible to brick your phone nowadays. I don't know why you'd want to update your jailbroken phone to stock 4.1, anyway. You should wait until the 4.1 jailbreak comes out.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Not sure exactly what the OP is asking. If you want 4.1, just update as usual. If you want to restore to 4.0.1, and your blobs are saved with cydia, edit your hosts file to point itunes to Cydias server, and shift+click restore, and select 4.0.1 firmware.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
Not sure exactly what the OP is asking. If you want 4.1, just update as usual. If you want to restore to 4.0.1, and your blobs are saved with cydia, edit your hosts file to point itunes to Cydias server, and shift+click restore, and select 4.0.1 firmware.

Layman's Terms: Unless you clicked the button in Cydia that said "make my life easier," you cannot restore to any firmware but 4.1 with iTunes. When you restore any iPod Touch/iPhone, iTunes asks Apple if you are trying to downgrade or trying to restore to an outdated firmware. Hence the "you can't do this" message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.