Can't restore to custom firmware, Error 16xx

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Faux Carnival, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

Hello, I have an iPhone 3G. I want to roll back to 3.1.3. I found a custom firmware and put the device in DFU mode. And shift click Restore.

I just can't get it to restore. It gives 16xx errors. (1604) I tried with different computers (PC and Mac) and with different USB cables.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Why do you need a customs 3.1.3 to roll back? just restore it to stock 3.1.3 and it works fine.

Put your phone into DFU mode, hit shift + restor (PC) or Option + restore (Mac) and point it to stock 3.1.3 to restore. At the end, you will get 1015 error. Use TU, Ireb etc.. to exit recovery. Your phone will boot up normally and you will have a 3G with 3.1.3 firmware.

3. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

My device is locked to a specific carrier. I did what you said. Now I'm at the "Connect to iTunes to unlock." screen. How do I unlock my device now?

Thanks.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

put in the sim for that carrier, hook it to Itunes and it will pass that screen.

If you don't have that sim, the hactivate it with Redsn0w and it will by pass that screen as well.

5. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says "Can't do that for your iPhone 3G" or something like this... I'm about to go crazy. :confused:

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

What is your ultimate goal on this?

Jailbreak & unlock this phone so you can use it with other sim?

What redsn0w version are you using to hactivate this phone now?

7. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. It is an unlocked phone from another country. I'm using 0.9.6rc16 at the moment.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You did not say clearly what you want on the opening thread.

Anyway, I have few more question.

1. Do you know if this phone is factory unlock?
    2. If not, my concern that if the baseband on your phone is higher than 05.13, you still can unlock it with Ultrasn0w.

Anyway, follow this tutorial to jailbreak/hactivate your phone first, then we can check your baseband and will advise you the next step.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7443

PS. the redsn0w version you are using is too new for 3.1.3.

9. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much everyone! Finally, I got it working... I'll check my baseband now and attempt a regular ultrasn0w unlock. I hope, my baseband didn't get upgraded in the process.

Cheers.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

11. Faux Carnival thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done it guys! Finally... Oh it was a nightmare. Let me summarize the process for people who might need it in the future.

Going back to 3.1.3 from 4 on SIM-locked iPhone 3G:

1) Put the device in DFU mode and shift-restore with an unmodified 3.1.3 firmware. (ipsw can be found on iClarified)
    2) Kick the device out of restore with RecBoot.
    3) Jailbreak with redsnow 0.9.3. (This is important. I tried with the latest version and it didn't work.)(Another important thing is, redsnow won't recognize 3.1.3 firmware. Just point it to a 3.1.2 firmware. It doesn't matter. Even if you are on 3.1.3. redsnow works the same with the 2 versions. The 3.1.2 ipsw file can also be found on iClarified)
    4) Go to Cydia and add the repo: repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Find ultrasn0w and install it. You are done.

Do not try a blacksn0w unlock!! It is so painful and slow and doesn't work. IF ultrasn0w doesn't work for you, add the repo blackra1n.com and then try blacksn0w unlock.

Have a good day everyone. I'm so glad I got rid of the iOS 4 joke. (At least on my 3G. :D)