Can't Restore to New Device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DogmaDogma, Apr 18, 2011.

1. DogmaDogma macrumors newbie

We have numerous iPod Touch and iPhone devices. In the past, I've had no trouble moving data from one to another by doing a backup of device A, and then restoring the backup to device B. However, I ran into a problem today. I have a new iPhone, and I want to migrate everything to it from my old iPod Touch. I backup the Touch, but when I go to restore to the iPhone, the Touch I just backed up isn't in the list of devices available for restore. Several other Touch models are, as well as my wife's iPhone, but not the one I need. I know the backup exists because if I go to Edit>Prefs>Devices I can see it in the list of backups. If I plug a different device in, the Touch backup is still missing from the restore list. But if I plug the Touch back in, the desired backup magically reappears in the restore list.

So what's the deal? Why does this one device refuse to be restored to any other devices? BTW, none of these devices is jailbroken or in any other way unusual.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

because from what i understand, you can't use a iPod's backup as an iPhone's restore point. It must be a phone to phone or an ipod to ipod.

3. DogmaDogma thread starter macrumors newbie

That is incorrect. I've done iTouch to iPhone restores before. It works fine. The thing I'm trying to figure out is why this one particular iTouch (yes, I know they are really called iPod Touch, not iTouch) keeps disappearing from my list of available restore options.