Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keith Weisshar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hazlet, NJ
Why am I getting "The Apple TV software update server could not be contacted. The requested resource was not found." when I try to restore tvOS 15.1 to Apple TV HD in iTunes for Windows v12.12.1.1 with USB-C connection? It's more than 24 hours since tvOS 15.1 was released.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't understand why you are restoring 15.1, considering that it was just released yesterday. Restoring from what? Did you update and have a problem with it?

Maybe you can download it manually:

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
I’m confused by the “restoring” word too. Perhaps you meant “updating to” tvOS 15.1. If you merely want to update to 15.1, then connect your ATV HD to your internet and use the Settings app on the ATV to install it directly. Just open Settings and select System —> Software Updates —> Update Software.

If your ATV HD screwed up, you can reset it using System —> Reset, but I recommend trying System —> Restart first.

There is no reason to go through iTunes on a PC to install an update.

Reactions: chabig

Keith Weisshar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hazlet, NJ
iTunes is used to reinstall the full firmware if the Apple TV HD gets stuck in recovery mode. iTunes installs the full firmware image where OTA only installs delta updates and is slower to prepare updates and apply it even though the download itself is smaller and there is a risk that it could break if the Apple TV is unplugged or loses power.

Last edited:

Keith Weisshar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hazlet, NJ
Recovery mode is when it shows a yellow exclamation sign in the boot loader which can happen if the main firmware is corrupted.

Last edited:

Keith Weisshar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hazlet, NJ
The iTunes requested resources not found error message occurs after clicking the Restore Apple TV button and then confirming do you want to restore to factory settings? What does this error message mean?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The iTunes requested resources not found error message occurs after clicking the Restore Apple TV button and then confirming do you want to restore to factory settings? What does this error message mean?
I was getting that error the other day when restoring an iPhone to iOS 15.1.. I also saw a similar error when trying on a newer Mac with Big Slur.

A few hours later, everything was fixed. I think there was a server side issue. Are you still having trouble?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.